Chapter 17

Her hands gripped the chair tightly as she absorbed what Jonathan had just said. What did he mean by having information about the son that she lost for eighteen years? She, herself, looked for her son but she wasn’t able to find out anything. She gave up thinking that Dracken had already made sure to kill the child as a revenge for his wounded pride.

That man and his twisted rules. She thought bitterly.

It was difficult for her to give up. She spent so many nights crying to herself, thinking about the things  she could have done to save her son. And now, why is Jonathan making her hopeful again? After the wrenching years she spent mourning for a son that she didn’t had the chance to name. Why now?

She took a deep breath before speaking.

“Why are you doing this Jonathan? How sure are you about this information? How can I trust you after you’ve worked for Dracken these past years?”

Jonathan shrugged.

“I don’t know how I’ll convince you that my loyalty is no longer with Dracken, but then again, it never was. Xenon was a dear of mine, Vivaldi. And of all Phantoms, you’re the only that isn’t just an empty vessel.”

Vivaldi studied the man sitting in front of her. She’s been working with people for years enough to have the experience of telling whether they tell the truth or not. The Nephil seemed sincere.

She nodded slowly, as if permitting Jonathan to continue.

“I have already accepted the fact that my son was dead. I wouldn’t lose anything if I listen to your information but the moment I find out that you’re just toying with me, I’ll have you dead, Jonathan. You and your entire race.”

“That’s probably the reason why Dracken and Xenon completely fell for you, Vivaldi. You have a thing with threats that makes you really hot.”

Jonathan attempted to make things light between them but the Phantom could only spare him a wary smile.

“You men and your flattery; that would be the death of you, don’t you know?”

Jonathan shook his head slowly, chuckling.

“Now about my son...”

“Xenon never left you hanging on your own Vivaldi. He informed us about your...uh” Jonathan suddenly found talking about his friend and the Phantom’s love story uncomfortable.

“About our interlude.” Vivaldi supplied for him nonchalantly.

Jonathan cleared his throat.

“Yes. That. When you gave birth, we had a rescue mission. Logan, another close friend of Xenon’s was the one who was able to recover your son. Apparently, we managed to leave before any of Dracken’s men arrived.”

“You left me though.”

“We had to Vivaldi. You know they have means of tracking  you because of that watch of yours.”

Vivaldi lifted her left hand where her own device is strapped securely.

“It’s not just a watch and me and my people managed to deactivate the tracking device. Anyway, go on.”

“Logan did most of the TLC for the kid. He managed to raise him up like a normal child, a human, by moving from one place to another to keep Dracken’s men off their track.”

The news was all too much for Vivaldi to absorb at the same time but it’s the best news she’s ever heard from the Nephilim. The last fire message was Xenon’s death. No one could really blame her if she expected the worst from today’s fire message, right?

“So you’re saying that Logan has my son and they’re safe? Where can I find Logan?” Vivaldi was getting worked up and hopeful but the look on Jonathan’s face made Vivaldi’s chest fall.

“Logan is dead.” Jonathan watched carefully as different emotions played around on Vivaldi’s face.

She has her eyes closed while her nostrils are flaring. She took deep calming breaths.

“But before Logan died, he left your son with another Phantom.”

“With another Phantom?! Do you have any idea how dangerous that was?! It’s like giving Dracken full access to my son!.”

“You don’t have anything to worry about Vivaldi. This Phantom is really good at what she’s doing and if my intuition is right, she’s like you and all the Phantoms in your community.”

Vivaldi sat very still on her chair.

So there’s another Phantom. She thought.

“Dracken has coaxed us into killing your son but this Phantom made it impossible for us and she also managed to teach your son on how to put into work his extraordinary abilities.” Jonathan glanced at Vivaldi; making sure that she’s still listening before he continued.

“Listen, Dracken knows all of these too and he’s probably already planning on how to kill  your son. You can’t interfere openly. You got me? Stay off Dracken’s radar because they would need a safe place to hide in once they run. This girl, the Phantom, I think she has a plan of her own and I think it’s for you son’s safety. We’ll just have to make her plan will work for us too and make sure to provide them the support that they need.”

Vivaldi stood up from her chair.

“I never liked being ordered around Jonathan but your plan doesn’t sound bad at all. But why are you suddenly doing this? Why wait for so many years before doing something right?”

Jonathan smiled a very sad smile that took Vivaldi by  surprise.

“We all got blinded by our fears that we failed to see that there’s really nothing to fear at all. What happened between you and Xenon opened your eyes about the twisted beliefs and rules that you thought were right all your life. My men’s death made me realize that I’ve been fighting for the wrong side.”

Jonathan was lost in his thought and after a long pause, he added almost to himself.

“We all felt betrayed by Xenon. What he did was a very big of a scandal just as big as it was for you and we all know how our kind never got along each other, right? You can’t really blame us. But Xenon never lost hope and he still fought for you. For what he thought was right. For what he believed in. Yes, he got killed in the process but that bold move changed a lot on how we look at things now. Well, they said love is the most powerful force here on Earth after all. I’m not expecting it to move mountains but I hope it’ll finally break the walls  and rules that keep causing all these trouble.”

Vivaldi nodded but her mouth is set in a grim line.

“Easier said than done. You know that if we do this, we’re going to start a war yes?”

Jonathan rubbed his chin.

“Well that’s the beauty of wars. Because we know that after all the chaos, peace will eventually reign. And of course I’m with you.” Jonathan winked.

“This Phantom that you highly spoke of... what is her name?”

“Elle.”

Vivaldi’s eyes widen.

“Salvatore’s daughter? That Elle?”

“The very same. Why”

Vivaldi rolled her eyes at Jonathan.

“This will be very ugly.”