15 with a heavy heart i'll guide this dagger

15   with a heavy heart i'll guide this dagger

Mercy King feels the pill dissolve the moment it hits her tongue and leans into the familiar feeling. It's a pull, bones again melting into the suit of her skin. She lets herself fall, plummeting down the rabbit hole as the forest forms around her. It looms—tall and menacing either side of her. Mercy lands on her hands and knees, scraping her already scarred knees and bleeding black. Red-hair tickling the forest floor, she claws herself together. Her lungs heave, gasping and aching for breath as she pulls herself together. Mercy isn't used to the side effects anymore: the sickness in her stomach, her bones cracking as they pull her up and the oozing of black ichor from her ears and nose. Branches clawing at her and Ronan, she realises that their own forest is fighting against them. The thorns scratch her arms, bleeding them red raw and peeling away at her skin. She seethes, teeth grinding against each other.

It takes every piece of her energy to stand tall, to face Kavinsky's sunken face in the green briars. He looks wrong, undersaturated and an imposter in his own skin. The forest fights against him. Kavinsky's shoulders sag, face saturated in his own blood that seeps from cuts across his grinning face. Thunder rumbles, the branches moving with minds of their own as vines grow on the outskirts of the clearing. Illusion, a crisp and clear image, rests on their rock with a waving hand and a handkerchief. This is what they wanted. Mercy squeezes her fist, ironing out her self-control. The world isn't quiet tonight—roaring in her ears, straining against the confines of their combined dreams. Almost like it's too much for Cabeswater to handle. Gritting her teeth, she pulls Ronan up beside her. This is their convergence point; this is their reckoning, and they have to stand tall. They have to face it with chins held high.

          "Guess our secret place is the same," Kavinsky says. He grins, blood oozing from the cuts and scratches.

Ronan pulls away from Mercy. "Not such a thief tonight."