The Biggest Hug in the History of Biggest Hugs

Начните с самого начала

I look up at her and see that she's already looking at me. Suddenly I get this urge to just run up and hug her one last time. So I do, and she immediately pulls me into an embrace. She holds an arm out for Giulia, who joins in the hug as well.

None of us really want to pull away, even though the sun is rising and the train is set to leave in thirty minutes. The station is only a few kilometers away (says Giulia, because I don't understand it yet), so I think we'll be fine if we hug just a little longer....

* * *

We were.

And now, thirty minutes later, we're on the train.

I rest my elbow against the window and look out of it. Martina's standing under the little fabric roof poking out of the building. She grabs her raincoat as the wind begins to pick up. The rain started as a sprinkle when we got on the train, but now the rain drops are big and fat and taking up the window. I can barely see Martina after a moment—just enough of her to see that she's still staring at the train, watching it start to move.

Eventually, the view starts to become blurry. The worst part is that I can't even look back and see her, because we're in the middle of the train.

Giulia's sitting right next to me, but she isn't facing me. Instead, she keeps her head down and pushes her lips tightly together. She seems to be deep in thought.

For a few minutes I watch her, trying to think of something comforting to say, or even something that can just start a conversation.

But I end up deciding to leave her be. When she's sad, she wants to be alone. And on a train full of Genova residents, alone time isn't the easiest thing to accomplish. I shouldn't bother her.

But I am getting sleepy again. I'm fine with getting up early and all, but a nap has been the biggest thing on my mind since I woke up today. (Besides Alberto.)

Our luggage is in a storage space above our heads, but we were allowed to keep pillows and a blanket with us. I grab the blanket and all its fuzziness, and drape it over both our laps. Even though I said I wouldn't bother Giulia, I still smooth out the blanket for her. This seems to make her feel better, though, and she gives me a smile before leaning back in her chair like me.

"'Night," she says, her eyes getting heavy too.

I close my eyes and smile. "'Night, Giuls."

Giulia's POV

Luca fell asleep already. I hope I fall asleep soon, too, because I'm already missing my mom a lot. Obviously I'm excited to see papà and everyone else, but it's always really hard to say goodbye to mamma for the summer.

I tried not to show how sad I was, but Luca noticed anyway. But that's okay. I mean, there is no one less judgmental than Luca, so it's not like I'd be embarrassed around him. But it's just natural for me to want to seem super relaxed and cool about everything.

Before I doze off, I decide to reach into my pocket and grab my sheet of candy buttons. Peeling it open, I pop four off and shove them in my mouth. A little strange that I'm craving candy at almost 6 in the morning, no less. And I feel kind of mean for hiding these from Luca, but he just can't handle sugar! And neither can Alberto. Sugar or coffee—they go crazy either way.

Alberto....

Hopefully he doesn't feel left out this summer. I really didn't mean for that to happen last summer. I guess he just doesn't like when Luca is friendly to others. Which is weird, because being friendly is just a part of human nature. And, I guess, sea monsters....