Chapter 3: A midnight saunter

The meeting rapted up after discussing lodging, time of payment, and a few more details about their job

The meeting rapted up after discussing lodging, time of payment, and a few more details about their job. The group then left, heading towards the residence the president directed. Ahamad stretched, letting out a loud yawn. 

"That was so boring! why did we have to go with you!"

"That's a good question, ms. charlotte, and ms. (Y/n) always go by themselves."

Charlotte looked towards the two, ready to answer but was interrupted by (y/n). "I want you all to understand the petition and voice any concerns," she stated, glancing behind her.  Edric chuckled with a soft gaze towards his leader. (y/n) turned her attention towards him, raising an eyebrow in confusion. The piglin just shook his head " we would follow you no matter the choice you make. We're family." Everyone nodded with Edric's statement without hesitation. (y/n) couldn't help but let out a relaxed sigh.

"Thank you"

================================================================================

After establishing rooms, they meet up in the living room to relax before their jobs begin tomorrow morning. Charlotte and jade were reading books on the main couch. Charlotte is reading a book about "'manburg" to be more informed of this country. Jade is reading a spellbook, trying to memorize each spell without re-reading the book each time. Then in front of them, Ahamad laid in front of the fireplace, taking a small nap.  Besides the two girls, Edric sat in the small armchair, which looked tiny compared to the large piglin, sharpening his ax.

(Y/n) walked into the room, adjusting her mask to fit more comfortably. "I'm going to take a walk around 'manburg. I won't be long," she informally stated. The group looked up at their leader. "Don't you think it's too late for you to go, kiddo" Edric grunted, stopping his task. (Y/n) giggled while shaking her head.

"I'm not a child, Edric; plus, it's just for a little bit this time, I swear!"

"Alright, alright, be careful out there. We still don't know much about this place," Edric sighed.

They all cackled at Edric since they know he tends to never say no to (Y/n). (Y/n) waved goodbye towards the group and left home. She walked on a wooden path amongst the night sky. A particular peaceful atmosphere surrounded her in this country. She gazed around 'manburg and thought, why would the president want guards. After all, it just seems too calm for her type of group. (Y/n) then recalled what happened in the meeting. President Jschaltt stated there are two people causing trouble for his country. To add to that, the neighboring kingdom has terrible ties with 'manburg. He never said why, but just that the previous president caused it all. It all seems weird to (Y/n) for the information given to them. She felt like there was so much missing that he refused to provide them.

(Y/n) shook her head; she needed to realize that she couldn't question the employer's part of the contract. The Sanguis Cultores accepted the job and will complete it until the end. She should not let her curiosity get in the way. Letting out a sigh, she gazed upon the stars praying to the gods to lead her into the correct path. Suddenly (Y/n) went stiff, the back of her hairs standing. She gazed around, feeling a pair of eyes staring at her "ʀɛ ʋɛʟɨ ɦʀʟɢʟ!". (Who goes there!) Red glowing eyes appeared suddenly, and out stepped a shadow figure. (Y/n) She pulled out her rapier, pointing it towards the intruder. 

"Wow, wow, I didn't mean to scare you toots." a low penetrating voice rang through (Y/n) ears. She glanced and squinted towards the tall figure. Then she recognized him as he stepped into the light. The so-called intruder was the president of the country. She quickly sheathed her weapon back into its holder. (Y/n) realized her mistake and placed her hand upon her heart, then bowed her head. "I apologized for the misunderstanding" (Y/n) softly spoken.

"So the captain does speak English. Here I thought I had to wave my hands around like a fool," letting out a throaty chuckle.

"Yes, I do, but my main language is neatherspeak. I tend to forget to switch English."

Jschlatt nodded, clearing his throat"what brings you out this late at night." (Y/n) covered herself in the cloak again and glanced at the president. "I wanted to take a peaceful stroll." "Well, how about I join you in this stroll. To get to know each other better. You know, since we will see each other more often." (Y/n) nodded, accepting his offer and let Jschlatt lead the way. At first, they spoke about the job, much to Schlatts demise. Then he started to rant about 'manburg and his personal affairs. To (Y/n), he seemed pleased to talk about himself. She began to relax the more she walked beside him. (Y/n) knew she should not feel at ease with someone she didn't know, but she could not help but welcome the feeling. After his rants, he started to ask (Y/n) personal questions.

"What made you decide to make this little group of yours?"

"In all honesty, Sanguis Clutores is a group of friends I meet along my travels."

"So you used to travel around?"

"Yes, I traveled around the world to see what's out there. To find the unknown." (Y/n) started to remember the old adventures she had on her own. A pleased look covered her golden eyes. Jschlatt noticed her content look, keeping in mind to push the subject more at a later time. Then another question popped in his head as he glanced at her face. "What's with the mask" he casually stated towards her. (Y/n) was popped out of her memories from the sudden question, stopping in her tracks. She touched the mask, trying to come up with an answer. While Schlatt stopped a little ahead, waiting for her response."That's too personal if I say so."

"Come on; it's not like you have some disgusting face under there." (Y/n) sighed, looking at the building beside her. "Let's just say it's a strategic reason," she lied, hoping he did not notice. JSchlatt tisked and rubbed his head " Fine, fine, that's fair." 

Right after, they begin walking again, talking occasionally. Though, for the most part, it's Schlatt talking and asking questions. (Y/n) still felt at ease with JSchlatt, something she doesn't experience unless she is with her friends. To her, she's beginning to realize that maybe she doesn't need to keep being cautious.

 To her, she's beginning to realize that maybe she doesn't need to keep being cautious