Azriel couldn't understand what he had to do for Nyx to walk away. She continued to remain unaffected by his attitude. 

He ran a hand through the tangled waves of his raven hair, grumbling out in the process, "I'm not here for this shit." 

Nyx, however, had unconsciously turned a deaf ear to what he was saying. 

Her breathing had slowed down, there was a tense furrow in her brows, a frown was tugging her lips down - all because of the white bandages that circled Azriel's wrists, shielding his knuckles and palms, leaving his fingers undressed.

"Your hands," her voice was a whisper as she reached for one of his taped-up palms, gently holding it with both of her own. 

As if her touch was as fiery as her flaming eyes, Azriel snatched his hand away and stood straight, stumbling a step back. 

"Don't fucking touch me," his usually steady voice wavered. "Do you ever mind your own business?"

Nyx didn't address the fear that she sensed in his tone when she took a step away from the counter, too, widening the distance between them. She held his stare for some time, hearing only the thumps of her heart that punched at her chest. 

Then, she looked away and promised neutrally, "I haven't told anyone about your counseling with Ms. Rose, and I don't plan on doing so. If that's what you wanted to know,"

Without another word or glance at the boy, Nyx lifted the tray in her hands and moved around the counter to continue serving the customers. 

Azriel's hand shot out to grab her arm as she stepped past him, but he abruptly let go, as if having touched electricity.

"It's better for both of us if you don't try so hard," his voice was low, no threat or harshness in it, just an emotion that couldn't be pointed out easily.

Nyx turned to face him and said, "Let me clear something up - I don't pity you. You are no tragedy that I want to bring back to life. You're not the only one with issues. Take some time to appreciate the efforts people are ready to put in solely for you, some of us only have good intentions, and most of us just want to be a friend without expecting anything in return,"

She didn't stay for another word. 

It took Azriel a moment to realize that she had left. 

This time, it was the raven monster who stayed to watch the nyctophile walk away, too weak and too lost to recognize the itch of longing that had managed to tickle past his guard.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

If there was one thing that Nyx had thoroughly liked throughout the day, apart from the cancellation of her counseling hour, it was the velvety night that held so many stars, twinkling like glitter. 

The dark sky smiled down at the girl, as if watching over her as she pedaled her bike forward. A misty glaze fogged up her distracted eyes as she kept glancing at the full moon that reigned the night, the sky was its throne and the stars its loyal subjects, and even taken together their beauty wasn't a match to the radiance of this celestial orb. The chills of the night sang a haunting note, lonely yet oddly comforting, frosty like ice. All worldly sounds seemed far too distant, there was only the song of the wind and the hidden creatures of the night. It was bliss - the silence, the stars, the moon.

It was all too perfect to be alone in.

Presently, Nyx was perched on her bike with her feet pedaling at a slow pace, making her way back home. 

Her shift at the diner had ended a few minutes ago. She had waved goodbye to her coworkers after locking up the place, assuring them that she would get home safely like she did every day.