The Legend Lives On

It had been years since Kena's father had died. But to her, it was like he never left. His blood ran through her veins, and she made herself a promise when sixteen that she would make his legend live on, through her. The way he died was unfair, to everyone. It should have never happened to him, not like that. He should be here, growing old, still touring with his band, changing lives like he always did.

But no, unfortunetly fate had other plans for him. And now he was Lucker stomping above, watching over Kena and Jolie. Everytime it would rain and thunder, Kena would stand outside in the rain, letting it wash over her.

"I hear you dad. I feel you with me. You aren't gone, I know you're watching over me." she would whisper. She would let the tears fall, and become a part of the rain. 

Kena kept her promise. She started a band, she toured the world, she changed lives through music. Everything she did, she would stop and think "What would dad think?". She always brought pride to the name "Lucker". Everyone was so proud of her, the band members of Suicide Silence were like her uncles  They always called or texted her, asking her how she was. They helped her start her band, they helped her start everything.

"Kena, its almost time for us to go on stage." Kena looked up to the familiar face of her band's dummer. He had a worried expression on his face, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." Kena said, smiling.

"Alright, well, you have ten minutes, alright?" He said.

"Alright." Kena smiled.

He turned and left, closing the door behind him. Kena leaned foward on the couch, placing her elbows on her legs and putting her hands together. She put her head down, and she silently began to pray.

"Dad, I know you are up there. I know you are watching over me. I hope you are proud. Remember the promise I made? When I visited your grave when I was sixteen? Remember I said I would do the same you did? To change lives through my lyrics? To be as selfless as possible? To put others before me, and to help those who need it? How am I doing dad? Have I made you proud? I hope I have dad, because everyday I think of you. Everyday I try to be like you. I miss you dad. I miss you so much." she whispered, letting the silent tears roll down her face.

She put her hands down and sat there quietly. She traced her thumb over her left hand, the place where she had gotten her dad's name tattooed.

"Kena!" she heard someone shout. 

Kena got up, grabbing the microphone she was handed earlier and headed towards the stage. She wiped away the tears that were still on her cheek and put a smile on her face, just like she did everyday. She walked up to the rest of her band mates and waited for their cue. 

Finally, the intro music started and one by one the band went up, the crowed roaring as each member made their way on stage. Finally, it was Kena's turn. She took a deep breath and ran up the stairs, the crowed went insane when she hit the stage.

Immedietly, Kena began to sing. She sang the lyrics she poured so much hard work and time into, she sang the lyrics that so many people have said they have changed lives. She sang to the hundreds of kids there tonight, the hundreds of kids that have been there with her through it all. She sang her heart out, she sang for them, she sang for Mitch. 

Finally, their set was over but Kena wasn't done. Every show she did this, every show she honored her fathers name, and every night she sang the lyrics he was most known for.

"Its been years, but I still haven't forgotten you dad." Kena says into the mic. The crowd goes quiet, everyone watches as Kena stand in the center of the stage, the tears already threatening her eyes, "I haven't forgotten you! And your biggest fans haven't either! I miss you every single day dad, but I know you watch over me. I know you are up there right now watching me say these words, and I want you to know I love you. I miss you dad. A moment of silence for him!"

Kena lets her hands fall to her side, and she falls to her knees and leans her head down. The tears come, just like every night, but they weren't from being sad. They were from joy. The joy of being able to do this every night, the joy of changing lives while doing something she loved. The joy of knowing she was doing this all for her dad.

"This ones for you dad!" Kena says, as the familiar music comes on and the crowd goes wild.

"Push your care, push your burdens aside

Erase everything inside and leave just one thing on your mind.

You only live once so just go fucking nuts!

Go!

Live life hard

Live life hard

You only get one shot

So shoot!

With every breath you take you’re dying

With every step we take we’re falling apart

If we only had one chance we'd breathe

Let’s take the chance right now and scream

You only live one life

For a very short time

So make every second divine

Go!

Live life hard

Live life hard

Are you still breathing?

It's your heart that’s beating inside

That keeps us alive

And for the very first time

We’re pushing aside to surrender

Everything that I see in my eyes

Except for the one thing on my mind

That I am alive

For the very first time!

For the first time

Pushing worry aside

For the first time

Pushing worry aside

Erase everything inside

Erase everything inside and leave just one thing

You only get one shot!

You only live once so just go fucking nuts

You only live once, go fucking nuts

You only live once so just go fucking nuts

Live life hard

Live life hard

Live life hard

Live life hard"

The song ended and the crowd roared. Kena put her hands in the air and closed her eyes, letting the defening roar of the crowd fill her ears. Finally, she puts the microphone to her lips and whispers one last word to these kids.

"Thank you."

She turned to the stairs that led backstage again, she climbed down and the rest of her band followed. She didn't bother to talk to them, they knew she was always a little upset after each show, as strong as she was it still hurt.

She went outside and headed to the tour bus, just as her hand hit the handle she heard it, the thunder. She smiled as the tears rolled down her cheeks. The rain started coming down, and the thunder kept coming. She took a few steps away from the bus and stood in the rain, letting the drops fall on her skin. 

The thunder continues and Kena closes her eyes, listening. Listening to her dad do the Lucker stomp. Kena smiled and raised her left leg as high as she could, and stomped down. Just as she did, the thunder above her roared. She knew her dad has watched the show tonight. She knew he was there. She knew he would never stop watching over her.