"There was no love professing, but I think we're making progress," Ranger said with a lopsided smirk that normally won him all the ladies in an instant. 

"She didn't block you?" Walker questioned, making Ranger's grin widen. 

"Bingo!" 

Flopping back down onto the sofa, Walker sighed and watched as his brother began removing his clothing as he headed toward the bathroom to wash up. If he hadn't been watching he would have bet money that the guy would have dropped every single dirty item on the floor as he went. As it were, he thankfully stopped by the laundry room on his way and tossed them directly into the empty washer. 

"Mom is coming down tomorrow, by the way!" Ranger called from the bathroom, making Walker jump up from the sofa in surprise. 

"Wait, you're serious?" he yelled back, earning a maniacal laugh from his brother as the shower was started. 

Walker hurried to his room and grabbed one of his spare backpacks, then began stuffing a few changes of warm clothing into it. When he couldn't fit anymore, he went into the kitchen and got himself a reusable grocery bag and put in several packets of chicken, tuna, and whatever other small thing he could find that would have a decently-strong scent. 

By the time he was done his brother was standing in the dining room, staring at him as he dried his hair with a single towel. 

"You really should start wearing boxers or something after you shower. I know we're twins and all, but there might be other people here at some point," Walker said as Ranger looked down at his six pack and... other bits. His lips quirked up into a smile as he lifted his damp head. 

"Going to get your little bear early, hmm? Probably a good idea, since mom definitely won't let you just go waltzing out into a snowstorm after a grizzly bear," Ranger said, adding a wink as he ignored Walker's normal nagging about his lack of clothing. 

His brother knew that she wouldn't, that's why he'd told him ahead of time. 

"I owe you one, Rane," Walker said as he hurried out the door. 

Take care of yourself, Walker. Don't let your guard down, because I won't be there to save you this time. 

Walker smiled as he got his clean pair of winter boots on, then headed for his SUV. 

I'll be careful. 

He was in his vehicle and out of sight minutes later. 

Snow was already beginning to fall as he turned on his windshield wipers to low and focused on any possible invisible ice on the road. Thankfully, there weren't many people out with the continuous snowstorms, and by the time he got to the outskirts of town, traffic was rare. 

It was slow going once the storm really picked up, but he persisted until he got to the spot he marked on his phone's GPS, then pulled over to the edge of the road. His weather app said that it was getting close to ten degrees, and would probably drop further overnight. 

I can't get out of the car tonight. 

It hurt to think that he couldn't go get Marshall yet, but he knew that he'd just make things worse if he tried to go find him with minimal visibility and dropping temperatures. With his mind made up, he turned his car off and grabbed two of the extra heavy blankets he kept in the trunk, then hunkered down in the back seat. Right before he went to sleep, he opened a few of the tuna and chicken packs and tossed them towards the woods. 

I hope your nose still works enough to tell you that I'm here for you early. Have a safe night. 

He slept fitfully as the cold crept in, making him snuggle further and further into the blankets until he was practically cocooned. It was some time around two or three in the morning when a loud snort jolted him out of his groggy rest. He immediately turned on his phone's flashlight and shone it out the back side window.