Gresley Cousin

Gordon the big express engine lives on the Island of Sodor, and works hard. But now a days, he can't handle the run back to Tidmouth. The Fat Controller was worried about him. He knew if he got a diesel, it would only cause trouble for the steam engines. He then decided to take a trip with his family to think about it for a bit.

On the mainland, he saw an old steam engine that looked rusted. The Fat Controller spotted him, and said, "Hello, have you been withdrawn recently?" "No," said the engine, "I've never been put in service." "And why is that?" "I was never put into action. I was just put to the side, the same moment that they decided to stop making steam engines." "Do you have a name?" "No, not even a number." "Are you going to be scrapped?" "Yes." The Fat Controller knew that he would never allow this. So, he headed off, and told his family about the engine.

One week later, the engine heard some puffing, and looked to see Henry and the Fat Controller with cranes. "So this is him?" "Yes," said the Fat Controller, "Now, would you like to help on the express on Sodor?" The engine smiled, "OH YES SIR!!!" The engine was lifted up, and brought to Sodor. He was put in the works, and was painted a greyish silver, had the letters LNER put on his tender, and was given a number of his choice: 2513.

 He was put in the works, and was painted a greyish silver, had the letters LNER put on his tender, and was given a number of his choice: 2513

He looked very impressive. "Now," said the Fat Controller, "You'll start on local runs, and work your way up to the express. You'll also need a name. How do you like Spencer?" "I like it sir," said Spencer. "Spencer it is. You're first train is on platform 2." Spencer headed off to the station.

There, he found Gordon waiting at Platform 1. Spencer then said, "An LNER A1? I thought Flying Scotsman was the only one left." "Well, surprise. Who are you?" "I'm Spencer, the new engine. I've been brought to help with the express." Gordon was a bit skeptical. His thoughts were interrupted when his coaches came. Arthur the new Tank engine was shunting in the yards. Gordon then waited for the passengers to board. Spencer was then given some special coaches for his trial.

Soon, the two engines headed off. Spencer headed down the line all the way to Vicarstown. He had easily over taken Gordon, and was proud to arrive. He was expected to arrive at 4:50, but he was 12 minutes early. The engines were impressed with his performance. "My Spencer, you certainly have expectations." "Well, from what I heard, my class has broken many speed records, including the world record. My brother Mallard won it with a full 126 mph on a trial run." "126 MPH!?!? My, then I guess it's official, you shall become Gordon's partner." Spencer was filled with pride. He was given a name plate like his brothers all had, and he could be seen racing down the line with a local to Vicarstown, and back to Tidmouth with the express. Many of the engines were jealous, but that's another story.