[003] the misfortune of the stars.

Start from the beginning

Mike knows that Dustin, Lucas, and Will can see his mother smooching him to death right now, and that's not even the biggest of his concerns. It's the fact that at any point, someone from school could pass by. Maybe even some cute girl, and they'll see that Mike Wheeler is a total Momma's Boy, or so they say. They'll probably snap a photo and print it on some T-shirts and sell them around Hawkins Middle School because the poor boy just feels that unlucky. But, never fear, because he finally manages to get away from his mother's grasp (but not before Nancy sees them and begins to laugh at him while shielding her mouth with her hand).

Lucas, Will, and Dustin all make him feel better, though. Of course, they tease him a bit about it, and he turns bright red while batting his hands at their face angrily, but after a while, they stop. Will's first suggestion is to go onto the ferris wheel, but it's "too slow and boring" according to both Mike and Lucas. (There's another reason why they don't go on the ferris wheel like they used to back when they were kids, but no one really talks about it.) And so, they stroll along across the blistering hot asphalt paving until they find the thrilling rides that they do want to go on, since Mrs. Wheeler won't be hovering over them and telling them which rides look too dangerous for the boys, like the cages (which causes Dustin to throw up the funnel cake that he stupidly bought right as they walked into the Fair) and the Drop of Doom (which they aren't tall enough to get on without adult supervision).

His mind is quickly consumed with the pondering thought of which ride to go on next, and soon enough, the topic of his awful morning is completely forgotten. Without his mother or sisters around and just his wonderful friends, Mike feels excited again.

Years later, a much older and wiser Mike Wheeler will ask himself the burning question: if he had never come to the Fair that day and if he had never suggested for the boys to get a big bag of kettle corn to share, would any of it have ever happened? Would he have still seen Kody Vandal if it hadn't been his mother who had called out to him? Maybe instead of seeing him standing beside his mother and little sister, Mike would've seen him in the parking lot or by the ticket booth. Or maybe, just maybe, he wouldn't have ever seen him at all.

The chances are low. At some point or another, they would've crossed paths. They had to. That's just how the story goes.

But sometimes, Mike thinks about how even after everything, he's still glad that he turned away from the bearded man in the kettle corn booth at the sound of his mother's voice. Because at this moment, although Mike Wheeler isn't aware of what horrors lie in front of him, he's still happy that Kody Vandal came back to Hawkins at all.

It's Lucas and Will that begin to run towards Kody first. Mike shoves the twenty-dollar bill that he's using to pay for the popcorn into the clerk's hand and rushes out a quick "I'll be right back!" before following his friends down the long asphalt path that leads right to their old childhood friend -- the one they haven't seen in years. It feels like a scene out of a movie. The end of it, perhaps, when the group of protagonist best friends reunite after years of being separated. They would run into each other's arms, wrap each other in tight hugs, and promise to never let go.

But, of course, that's not the way it happens.

Kody doesn't move. He doesn't run towards them to meet them halfway. In fact, it looks like he's almost backing away. Will and Lucas are already tackling him in a huge hug, almost sending him straight to the ground while Mrs. Wheeler shouts, "Boys! Be careful!" Mike doesn't listen as he too reaches Kody and wraps his arms around him.

For the record, Kody Vandal does relish in the moment of reuniting with his friends. Really, he does. To him, the moment feels like a scene out of a movie, too. As he watches the three boys run towards him, it feels like the world changed into slow motion. He can see the way that Will's hair bounces as he lands on one foot and then the other. He can see Lucas' smile grow bigger with every step. But weirdly enough, it isn't.. good. It doesn't feel good. It's just scary.