Chapter 1

"Lita"

"Lita"

My Mom's voice echoes all over the room. 'Lita, wear this, 'Lita, try this, 'Lita, Lita, Lita'

I am Lita, age 24, daughter of Thakur and Anjali, a journalist at 'Quality Times' and I'm just happy as I am. I don't need a boyfriend or husband to look after me, especially because I like people calling me Miss and not Missus. Just a month ago, My parents registered my profile in matrimony. That's what every Indian typical parent does when they want to get rid of their adult daughter. They find a boy who satisfies their expectations but what about me and my expectations. I like being single and I don't want to be in a relationship. I explained every single sentence to my parents and they arranged this gathering. I will tell you how this happened in the first place.

(two weeks after the matrimony registration)

Me: Mom, I don't know why you are doing this?

Mom: We are doing this because we want you to get married.

Me: I don't want to be married.

Mom: Then go and talk to your father. Now, Leave me alone. I have to cook dinner for your father.

The conversation ended there alone, I didn't talk to my father. For information, I'm not afraid of him. Yes, I'm scared of him. My father is a respectable military officer so likely our house is a military base camp.

"Listen, Lita, Don't forget to smile in front of the boy," My mom said, " I have a lot of work in the kitchen" and then she disappeared out of my room. God, I don't know myself in front of the mirror. I hate my reflection. Who is this girl? Saree, jewels, bangles, anklets, and hair braided with flowers. It feels like a nightmare, I wish it's to be a nightmare.

The door creaked open but it's not mom.

"Oh, my, oh my, who is this beautiful girl?" Aunt Rupa, " I can't believe our little Lita is getting married" She hugged me and crushed me. She started to sob the story about childhood, how I ran around her house and played with dolls.

There, the door opened again. It was Riya. I have never been so happy to see her.

" Li, Don't tell me that I missed your wedding," Riya smiled.

I have known Riya for five years. We studied college together and worked together.

" Haha, very funny, remember me to laugh for your lame joke"

Aunt Rupa left the room to help my mother in the kitchen.

" I thought you would be single after rejecting tons of loverboys in college." She laughed. "Are you seriously going to marry the guy your parents are setting up with you?"

"I'm not"

"Yes, you are. Look at yourself, Honey. After being with you all that literature we studied, I never imagined you would end up in an arranged marriage. "

Maybe Riya is right.

" Why don't you hunt Shakespeare, Elliot, Wordsworth out there for me?"

" How do you think I found Vikram?"

" You don't know how to drive and have an accident, and end up in a hospital. He was an intern doctor at the very same hospital. You followed him, flirted around, pestered him, and cornered him to date you"

" Absolutely right. When I first met him, I knew this man in white court was born only for me. That's why I chased him and hunted him in love." Riya said in a dreamy voice.

" I wish I had met Vikram before you. He is calm, gentle, mature than you"

" No luck in love, darling, Don't worry I can share him with you if you want. Let's do threesome together sometime"

" Shut up." Disgusted by her sly jokes.

" okay..okay, let's talk about your guy" She giggled.

" My guy, noo, he is not my guy and I don't know anything about him other than he is an IIT tech guy" I remember father talking about this guy to mother about how perfect he is to me.

" You don't know how he looks like"

" Yes"

" You have his Photo?"

" No, I think mom has"

" What about his number?"

" What what about his number?"

" Do you have his phone number?"

" No, why do you think I have his number?"

" I have Vikram number"

" Because Vikram is your boyfriend"

" This guy is your future husband"

" So?"

" You should have his number"

" I don't want his number"

" Get his number and talk to him about your view"

" I don't want to talk to him about my view"

" If you don't want to marry him, you have to talk to him first"

" Yes, Yes, You get his number"

" Why me?"

" Cause I'm trapped in this room"

" You owe me for this"

" Sure, I will do anything for you"

" Promise"

" Promise"

She left the room with her creepy.

If Riya finds this guy's phone number, everything will be sorted out soon. I will explain to him my theory and call off the wedding. Simple. Very, very simple.

Riya came back and gave a Sherlock Holmes appearance.

" Stop overreacting. Now tell me his number" I hurried and searched my mobile phone over the piles of sarees.

" I don't have his number"

" You don't get his number. " How dare she still laughs.

" But I have very important news for you"

" What?" Mission impossible ended before even started. Maybe I have to ask my mother for his phone number.

" This guy is a rich man. If you marry him, you are going to be rich" She jumped around me.

" You are useless. I don't want to marry him and I don't care whether he's rich or not. Do you get that?" I was so angry.

" Listen, I .."

" I want to be alone so can you go and help my mother in the kitchen with Aunt Rupa"

She left the room without another word.

Why was I angry at Riya especially when it's not her mistake. It's my parents' mistake. They don't understand their own daughter. They don't care about what their daughter really wants and wants to do. I wish my parents would listen to me. I wish Aunt Rupa stop saying those stupid things about girls have to get married soon and they have to fulfill their duties of being wives and giving birth to children. I hope they can understand that a girl has to fulfill her own needs and chase after her dreams.

God, the flower braided in my hair making me dizzy and giving me a headache. It's been a long since no one entered the room. Mother told me that I have to stay in the room until she calls me.

What are they doing? How long do I have to wait in the room...

Just in time, I heard my father shouting... What would have happened