Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The first thing I registered was the bird song, that and my pounding headache. I rolled over and ended up in a giant pile of leaves. I brushed them out of my hair and remembered everything that had happened before I'd gone under. I looked up at the sky. Sunset. I wondered if there was any chance of making it back to the house before dark. Being stuck in a forest at night was not exactly on my top ten fun things list. I looked round, hearing a twig snap. I couldn't see anyone or anything. I hugged myself as I began to feel the dampness seep through my jacket after lying on the wet marshy ground. I snapped my fingers. If the ground was marshy that meant the river must be near by. If I could just find that I would probably have no trouble finding my way home. That was, if I wanted to go "home". I was going to have to judge his whole thing on whether this was a psychotic joke on the poor new cousin. I pushed my hair behind my ears and sat on a rock watching the sun dip behind the trees turning the sky a glorious pinkie red. It was times like this that made me wish I was more artistic. I was more of a maths and science person. Some people might think that makes you good at technology too but I'm not. The only reason I get Bs in that class is because I think the teacher feels so sorry for me. As I tried to distract myself from thinking about going back I bent over to pick up a smooth stone buried in the leaves jerking upright again when I felt something begin to slip from the inside pocket. My phone. I breathed out relieved and then inhaled sharply as I read the new text flashing on screen.

"Dead meat" I read aloud jumped up from the rock instinctively looking for somewhere to hide. A way out. The forest suddenly seemed to conceal dark shadows. The caw of a crow sounding like their voices. I wished I had my metal lamp stand at least. I ended up sitting in the spot where I'd originally woken up. It was actually quite secluded in an unexpected dip in the terrain between two large sweeping oaks. The leaves were pilled high along the sides leaving a small crevice. Had Caleb and Agnes dumped me here to keep me safe or to make sure I wasn't found by anyone other than the vampires? So many questions floated and whirled around in my head. My phone vibrated, startling me so much I almost screamed. My hands shook as I read the text.

"Stay put." I chewed my lip anxiously. Both texts had their id hidden so it was impossible to say if this was friend or foe. Either way I had a 50/50 chance that the next face I would see would be my last. I huddled there, not noticing the cold after a while. I took the now soaking jacket off and draped it over me. It was a faded brown so it gave me slightly more cover. I kept my eyes open grateful that I couldn't see enough to imagine things. My ears were doing that well enough for me. I though I'd never sleep but eventually exhaustion took over and I lay there sprawled in the ditch shivering till morning.

 The next morning I was surprised to find myself still alone with no more texts from anyone. I rubbed my eyes not quite daring to sit up until a spider ran across my chest. Spiders are my only fear, I cant stand their spindly legs and beady eyes. So I jolted upright and quickly surveyed the clearing. In the brighter light I could see that I'd been wrong about the river being near here. I ditch was near a small pond of water. I relaxed for a few seconds until I realised just exactly where I was.

Unless I was very, very much mistaken I was currently lying in graveyard. The stones were most crumbling bits. Here and there I could see a Victorian style angel(which seriously freaked me out since I've been terrified of them since I saw that Dr Who episode) I leapt up dusting myself down. This was just a little too sick too be a joke. I mean if its got to the point of drugging people and dumping them in a graveyard then its not funny for anyone anymore, especially not the counsellor you're gonna have to hire to get over it. Not that there was much chance of a counsellor right now. I trembled partially due to the nippy morning air and also due to the sheer creepiness of it all. I looked a couple of graves. They were old, maybe from the late 1700's there was even one that looked to be about four hundred years old. Though the whole grave rubbing idea so not on my top ten activities lists either I was actually kind of interested and it was giving me something ot distract myself with. Knowing that I really didn't have a clue where I was and that I was caught up in something which I didn't even fully understand. A twig cracked, then another as I whipped round, temporarily blinded my a gust of wind that flicked my hair over my eyes. I brushed it away forcefully to see Caleb standing on the edge of the clearing. I stood there wondering whether or not I should run, scream or feel relieved. In the end I ended up doing a bit of all three. At first a wave of relief spread over me then I tried as I tried to back away into the forest I tripped over the stone I'd been sitting on the night before and shrieked as I fell backwards and almost toppled into the green murky waters of the ancient pond. I steadied myself just in time and turned back ot meet his steady gaze. After meeting him a few times like this I was almost sure he was trying to read me or something. There  was definiately something unnatural about the colour of his blue eyes. They seemed to swirl like the leaves on the ground, pulling you in, taking your darkest secrets. Not that I had any of those but he almost made you feel as if you did. Finally after what seemed to be a million years he spoke.