chapter eleven

TW: explosions, fire, gore, mention of hospitals, angst if you squint, sexual references, mention and usage of guns, mild language, police presence.

the fisher king, part three of three.

" a mother's arms are more comforting than anyone else's " - princess diana.

-

Genevive groaned as she stared at the music box. It was driving her crazy. Obtaining the butterfly and the baseball card would have been difficult to find, but not impossible. But, stealing her childhood music box from her mother and delivering it to her? That was a much harder feat to explain.

Her speculations were cut off as Garcia trotted into the room, as fast as she could on her high heels, a whirlwind of colour, curly hair, and noise.

"The Unsub's called. He's on line two. He called himself the Fisher King. It's an anagram for Sir Kneighf, the handle of the guy I was playing with," She said breathlessly. Genevieve looked up and ran to the phone in the middle of the roundtable, buried under the piles of evidence and clues they had strewn around, and patched them in.

"What I had to do was not my fault!" The Fisher King's raspy voice exclaimed.

"Excuse me?" Gideon asked.

"It was distasteful and barbaric!" He said heatedly. Genevieve pressed a finger to her lips as Garcia opened her mouth to ask a question.

"Who is this?" Gideon asked, choosing to prod at the Unsub, rather than engage in his rambling.

"No one else had to be hurt!" He sounded upset. Disappointed.

"You call yourself the Fisher King?"

"I told you. There. Were. Rules!"

"I'm actually more interested in exactly how you got all those burns," Gideon said calmly. There was a long silence on the Fisher King's line, before he finally spoke again.

"Remember this the next time you decide to step outside my instructions: Agent Greenaway did not have to die like that," And with that, he hung up. Genevieve's mouth dropped as Garcia gasped. The two women ran out of the conference room to stand on the stairs leading to the bullpen, and stare in horror at Spencer, Gideon, and Hotch, who were all frozen in fear.

What had they done?

+++

Gideon and Hotch had left for the hospital and Genevieve had tried to leave with them, to supervise the processing of Elle's apartment, which was where she had been shot, but Hotch told her that Anderson would ensure that everything went smoothly with CSU.

Spencer and Garcia had found the book - it was The Collector, written by John Fowles, and were on the phone with one of the local libraries, decoding the message, which left her to frantically call JJ and Derek to try and see if they'd gotten any updates yet, and to tell them about Elle.

Only after her fifth time going to Derek's voicemail (he was likely out of cell service), did her frenzied thinking calm down enough for her to connect the dots of what had been bothering her all night. She ran into the room as Garcia and Spencer were discussing the now-decoded message.

"I figured it out," She said, quickly, causing them both to turn around and look at her. "Well, not it, but something. It's been bothering me for a while - how did the Fisher King manage to get my music box? You said it's been with Mum ever since I left? Well, that's when it hit me. Mum is sentimental, so something like the music box would be one of her most prized possessions. Not just anyone would be able to get to it. It's got to be someone with a personal connection - with access. This guy is organised, for sure, but he's also delusional - he's convinced he's the Fisher King. So what if... he was institutionalised with her? What if the Fisher King knows our mum?"