LVI

*Use of drugs and alcohol, slight sexual content warning

"The sky was a beautiful red, bordering on a crimson, and rays of a gold pink color were constantly shooting off from a kind of sun in the centre. I admit now that autumn is most beautiful, and spring is but the least, yet they "differ as stars" in their distinctive glories."

-Emily Dickinson, from a letter to Austin Dickinson written c. October 1851

Evangeline followed Theo up the stairs and into the dorm. He sat his drink down and leaned against the bed, hand in his pocket. 

"You want to smoke or snort coke? Up to you, love," he spoke. Evangeline bit her lip, tapping her fingers on the glass in her hand. 

"Both?" She asked. Theo raised his brow as he grinned at her, pulling two pre-rolled joints from his pocket. Evangeline walked up, taking one from his hand. She had forgotten her wand so she had to wait for him. Theo set the joint in between his lips as he pulled his wand out and lit it. He lit Evangeline's as he took a drag, letting the smoke roll from his lips. Evangeline hit hers, the smoke filling her lungs.

"So, you and Draco left for a few days?" Theo asked as he exhaled. Evangeline sat on the bed, crossing her legs.

"Yeah, nothing too exciting," Evangeline responded. She hit the joint as she glanced up at Theo. He was staring down at her hand, joint in his lips. 

"I don't know, seems like something crazy happened." Evangeline furrowed her brows, matching his gaze. As she smoked, her sleeve had fallen, exposing her mark. Evangeline quickly moved her sleeve up to her hand. Theo chuckled, shaking his head. 

"I already saw it, Ev. Did you and Draco both get it?" Evangeline cleared her throat, dropping her feet to the floor. 

"Um... Well..." She stammered. Theo rolled his eyes. 

"Did you forget that my family is part of this? My parents were probably at your ceremony. I'll be getting mine once the war calms down. How'd you guys get yours already?" Evangeline's lips pressed together, unsure on how to respond.

"Well, we aren't supposed to talk about it. You aren't even supposed to know, nobody is," Evangeline spoke. Theo nodded, finishing his joint. Evangeline hummed, inhaling her own smoke once more.

"Hey, I might pass on the other stuff and go drink, do you want to come?" Evangeline asked, standing and breathing in the last bit of smoke. Theo nodded, taking a sip of his drink. The two of them walked down the stairs back into the common room. Evangeline glanced around the room, unable to find Draco where she had last seen him. 

"Looking for Malfoy?" Theo spoke, leaning into her ear. Evangeline nodded, furrowing her brows. 

"Do you really want to know?" Evangeline turned to Theo, stopping in her tracks. 

"Yes, Theo. Do you know where he is?" Theo nodded behind her. Evangeline turned to see Draco leaning one arm against the wall, a drink in his free hand. In front of him, back pressed to the wall, was Astoria, giggling at something he had said. Evangeline scoffed as she looked back at Theo. He shrugged, taking a drink from his glass. 

"Are you serious?" She mumbled, stomping over to him. 

"Draco, what's going on?" Draco's eyes lazily looked over at his girlfriend, whites red and lids falling. 

"What do you want?" He slurred, dropping his arm from above Astoria. His hair was messy and stance loose. Astoria glared at Evangeline, crossing her arms. 

"Can I speak with you please?" Evangeline asked, holding a hand out at Draco. He groaned, winking at Astoria before following Evangeline to a corner of the room.