3

(3629 words)

You had probably worried Lem when you walked in early, drowsy enough to lay down in his lap and instantly fall asleep.

The moment you had woken up he asked if you were drugged, which you dismissed quickly.

"Lem, I swear, I'm okay. I've heard it's normal to get so sleepy for those who've recently moved here. The weather's dreary and it can get to people." You try to comfort, feeling how his fingers drummed over your side.

"From?" He asks. He wasn't the most worried, seeing as you were home, safe, but you practically collapsing onto him and passing out didn't inspire much confidence.

"Lucien. The, uh, demon I told you about yesterday? He actually tried to help keep me up." You continue, casually reaching up and tracing his jaw.

The blonde couldn't help but let out a small snicker, feeling your warm hands against his jaw and unintentionally lowering his head closer. "He named himself Lucien?"

"I named you Lem because your hair is the color of a lemon. You aren't much better." You grin at his scoff, him pulling you slightly closer As you continue.

"Still, you chose that for me, and it's not as on the nose as Lucien is for a demon." He huffs, a shiver climbing him as your hands trail down his neck.

"Hmm. Maybe not." Your fingers mindlessly run through the wavy hair at his neck, the soft locks offering little resistance. Your eyes close once more, a comfortable silence filling the air, only broken by Lem's hum.

"Am I only here to be your pillow?" He asks, amused. "You're neglecting your poor, poor roommate in order to sleep the day away."

"Maybe I wouldn't be so eager to sleep on you if you had some light around." You respond, coiling a bit of the demon's hair around your finger before letting it fall back to its original place, now slightly curled.

He rolls his eyes, knowing yours were still closed as you toyed with his hair.

"Oh, quick question about demons; when they come to Earth, do their horns turn into the red tipped bits of hair like you have?" Your question makes him glance down at your peaceful face, humming.

"Sometimes. Some demons still wear their horns with pride on Earth, but typically in an attempt of having a full human form, the horns are replaced with them." He explains, thinking briefly of the man who had approached him earlier. "Not many demons have made it into a fully human form, as the change from demon to human form can take quite a long while."

Your eyes open, meeting his in a lazy, half-lidded gaze. "Lucien still has fangs and pointy ears, but other than that he's in a fully human form."

Your mind drifts to the man you worked next to, expression foggy. He was kind; a great colleague who you were rather glad to have as your office neighbor. Gentle, strong...

"Then it looks like you've got a full human demon. Ears and fangs–they don't just go away in the process of becoming more human." He murmurs, seeing you raise a brow.

"You're quite close to having a full human form then, aren't you?" You grasp one of his cool hands, not able to make out the shape of it in the dark. They were the same color as the shadows anyway; the pure black skin's color shifted as it traveled up his arm, fading into his pale skin tone about half way up his forearm.

He could feel how your hand held his; your fingers curled into his palm as they slipped between his. Your warm hand covered his knuckles, as the front of yours was against the back of his. His hands were larger than yours, but at his height, it wasn't surprising.