Chapter 1 (Rewrite)

Start from the beginning

"Of course, I'd love to, does Nunnally need anything as well?" The acceptance of his offer made a smile cross the tired boy's lips as he soon thought, "I think she wanted some more of that paper you had brought her last time. Frankly, I haven't figured out exactly which brand you had brought, so if you have some to spare?" A soft chuckle left your chest, "oh I always have some to spare for her, though you're kinda late to ask. After class I'll go grab some, where would you like to meet up?"

The discussion of plans continued between the pair before the teacher walked in, beginning the class. Taking you two away from the conversation for a bit, not that anything was needed to be discussed in length. The spot to meet up to head for lunch was agreed upon easily, that was all. The thought of seeing Nunnally again made you feel a bit happy, she was like a sister to you, spending time with someone you had blossoming feelings for was a bonus.

Class time sped by quite quickly now that you were preoccupied with your planning of how to get to your stuff, get the paper for Nunnally, and then meet close to the council's meeting room. Wanting to make the trip quick and efficient as not to make anyone wait longer than they needed to. The execution of the plan was decently easy, though there were a few people who stopped to greet you along the way, friendly everyday conversation. Though besides those small incidents, nothing too concerning happened on your way to meet Lelouch, whom waited calmly by the door talking to another staff member it seemed. It was Shirley, a long-haired, redhead girl who seemed to be positive and athletic from what you had gathered.

She seemed to be there for a bit, putting a hand to Lelouch's forehead as he seemed almost unphased, carefully moving her hand off him and appearing to reassure her. From the looks of it, she had noticed the same things you had of Lelouch's health status, though spotting you approaching caught both of their attentions. Shirley smiled brightly per usual and waved, getting you to return it as well with your free hand, "hey (y/n), I hope you're doing okay unlike Mr. I don't need sleep here." You felt yourself roll your eyes with amusement at her sentence, "I'm doing alright, Shirley; Lelouch, and I were actually just heading to lunch now." Shirley listened before crossing her arms, "can you make sure he gets some rest after, I have to do some stuff around the school sadly and can't do it myself. Also, say hi to Nunnally for me?" She seemed a bit antsy to be stalling on her work, perhaps due to the council's president and not wanting to be in trouble. "Of course I can, though no promises on getting him to rest, good luck with whatever you've got to do, we'll talk to you later if you're free." Lelouch let out a sigh as if annoyed by the pressure to rest from the two in front of him, soon watching Shirly bid you two goodbye as Lelouch turned to walk with you. The halls were now lightly filled, the students glancing up at the pair as if acknowledging the presence. Though you knew there was always that group gossiping about any rumour they could create, especially since Lelouch was the reserved type, and you two had been close.

Lelouch looked ahead of him, he was almost regal in the way he walked and ignored those who stared and whispered. You managed to ignore it all as well, rumours were nothing more than jealous words trying to mess with someone's reputation. Why should something fake bother you, especially if it could be about your friend and made by people you barely even knew. Though the expression on your face caught Lelouch's glance and a momentary huff of amusement, there wasn't much to say there about your annoyance to whatever you could pick up being said. They just wanted a reaction anyways, you just wanted a nice meal with two people you felt comfortable with.

The door to meeting Nunnally was opened quietly, yet the girl inside detected you both with keen senses that were quite impressive. "Lelouch, is that you? I hear someone else I think..did you bring someone with you?" Her tone was sweet, not upset that someone was joining her, though a lingering loneliness wavered about in the room. "Yes, I brought (y/n) with me, they brought you something as well." This was your opening to give the present to her, "hi Nunnally, how are you?" The girl moved closer carefully, an excited expression spreading across her face, "I'm great (y/n), I've been working on the swans! I've made so many, they could be..like those big bird cages! Though I've run out of paper." You carefully leaned down to the ground in front of her, smiling gently as you listened to the joy her words were full of, "an aviary of swans? That sounds lovely and lucky for you..I brought just the stuff for you to keep filling your world with," slipping the neat stack of paper onto her lap you heard a gasp leave her lips. "Thank you so much, (y/n)!" She reached up to give a hug, having you come to your feet and lean down to her, "no need to thank me," your tone gentle as she clung tightly with joy. Lelouch watching and preparing the lunch with a caring expression, seeing his sister so happy brought him enough joy in that moment to forget any burdens that were weighing him down.