"Not all of it is unnecessary. You need to be able to count, right?" She waited for me to reply so I nodded. "You need to know how to read. You need to know how to tell time. You-"

"Okay, okay some things in school are important."

"Do you see what I mean?"

"Yeah. But I don't need to know how the insides of a frog work."

"Scientists do."

"But I'm not going to be a scientist."

"What do you want to be?" She asked. I stopped. I hadn't ever thought about it before.

"I don't know."

"Then what if you want to be a scientist?"

"I know for sure I don't want to do that. I'm thinking..." I thought for a moment. I'm not sure.

"Well what do you like?"

"I like cars."

"Then maybe you'll be a car mechanic. Or a car salesman."

"Maybe I will." We finished eating dinner and my mom went to bed around nine. She said she had to work tomorrow and she didn't want to be up late. I stayed up later watching TV and then fell asleep on the couch because I didn't feel like going to my bedroom.

*****

I woke up the next morning to my phone going off. It was nine-thirty and I'm kind of surprised I slept that long. I looked at the caller ID and saw Brooke's name.

"Hey." I said.

"Hi." She said, a little unsure about her words.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Um," she paused. "I actually don't know. That's why I called." Now I'm confused.

"Okay I don't understand. What's going on?"

"You know how I went to Beth's house last night for a sleep over?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Well, I'm not there anymore."

"Where are you?" I asked and she stopped.

"I don't know that either."

"How could you not know? Are you in her backyard? Are you somewhere in town?"

"I know I'm not in town because I don't recognize anything around here." I heard a girl talk in the background.

"Who are you with?"

"Beth and Gabriella."

"Were you with anyone else?"

"Last night Tracy and Stephanie were there with us."

"Where is 'there'?"

"Beth's house. Where we originally started."

"Okay, okay. So let me get this straight. You, Beth, Stephanie, Tracy, and Gabriella all started the night at Beth's house and now you aren't there, and you've lost Stephanie and Tracy." I explained. It totally reminds me of the movie 'The Hangover.'

"I guess, yeah."

"Now you guess?"

"I don't know I'm just so confused and I have a headache and I think I sprained my wrist or something."

"And you have no memory of anything that happened?"

"No. Not after I took a drink of something Beth's boyfriend handed me." Brooke told me. Beth's boyfriend? I thought that sleepover was just going to be a girl thing?