Electric Iced Tea

The house has seemed big this week without Noah in it, and it's not yet entirely home without his presence and things. When we had unpacked on Sunday, we did so mindfully making sure that it would be a shared space where our combined possessions would eventually become ours, not a shelf for him and a shelf for me. Our new bed had arrived along with our office furniture, initially I had the urge to go to sleep snuggled into the uber-comfy mattress, but the sentimental side of my brain won out - the first time I go to sleep in our new room, I want it to be with him by my side, his arm around me holding me to his chest as a close my eyes.

I can't wait for him to be here so that we can start this life together, it seems crazy that it took us 6 years to see each other, and yet I'm still impatient for his arrival despite it only taking a few short weeks for us to go from 'hello again' to 'I can't stand going to sleep without you'. He'll arrive around midday tomorrow as he has some loose ends to tie up tonight, but I have a party to attend this evening, and so I won't get a chance to speak to him until we meet tomorrow at the airport.

The party tonight is being thrown by Ollie and Miles, who will be spending the whole festive season out of state. It's being billed as an early Christmas party, however being from their inner circle I also know that it's also to celebrate their very recent engagement. There will be family of course, our group and lots of their other friends, but also rumors of some old faces from High School, so this should be a fun event. Noah has already sent his apologies and promised we'll meet for a beer once all of us are back in the same state, but we both selected the gift and card, so he'll be there in thought, just not in person.

By the time Lee and Rach arrive to pick me up I'm very nearly ready, and with just a swipe of lipstick and slipping on my heels I make my way out of the door. The ride to the venue reminds me of years gone by, blasting tunes through his speakers and singing along as we drive. Rach is looking stunning in a red strapless body-con dress and whilst Lee's tastes are slightly more muted than during our teenage years he still rocks a brightly colored shirt when the occasion merits it. 

Tossing his keys to the valet, Lee holds open the door, and Rach and I enter the bar which has been reserved only for our party. It's been beautifully decorated in silver and blue, I'd say more winter-themed than Christmas, which works perfectly for a duel event. There are so many people, some who I know, but some I don't, but the atmosphere is already buzzing and I think it will prove to be a fabulous night. As Rachel and I see a free table, Lee offers to go to the bar and returns with some interesting-looking drinks. To stay in keeping with the theme the bar is only serving blue-colored cocktails and this alcohol-packed masterpiece is apparently an Electric Iced Tea.

By 11 o'clock I'm tipsy but not too drunk, and it makes me smile at the memory of Noah joking last night that he wouldn't be there to save me from myself if I tried skinny dipping or dancing on tables. I've danced until my feet hurt and caught up with so many people that I haven't seen for years; Vivienne went back to the UK for college but is now back in the states working for some big global corporation, Randy's in his last year of college studying to be a physician, Warren went into IT, Gwyneth was breaking into Journalism and Olivia had taken time out before college where she was now studying to be a Veterinarian. 

I was finding it fascinating to rediscover these old connections, to see how people had changed and where life had taken them. Olivia and Gwyneth were the biggest surprises, it's no secret that we hadn't been the best of friends, and after I started dating Noah they hadn't been put off by his newly coupled up status when it came to flirting with him. Over time they had lost contact with Mia, and that had seemed to be the turning point for them, still 'BFFs' themselves they had definitely matured as they got older and I could actually see myself enjoying their company on occasion.