𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯〔 𝘴𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘩 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘮𝘴 𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘢 𝘧𝘳𝘶𝘪𝘵𝘺 〕

Start from the beginning

"Why you?" Peterkin questions.

"Because I'm the oldest" I answer simply.

"That doesn't seem fair" She replies.

"Life isn't fair" I comment.

"Adelaide, do you understand that it's not your job to look out for these kids?" Peterkin queries after a couple minutes of silence.

"Ma'am-"

"Just because you feel responsible for your younger brother, does not mean that all his friends are your job to care for. You're allowed to relax, sweetie. They're not your children" She explains to me as if I myself am a child and I frown deeply.

"With all due respect, Sheriff, you're wrong. They might not be my kids, but they're family. Those little weasels are all I have. Forgive me for thinking 'my family, my responsibility'" I declare.

"I understand" She sighs "Just don't forget to look out for yourself too"

☼ ☼ ☼

"You mind if I just relax on this one?" JJ calls out from the backseat "It's been a long day, and a lot of weird stuff's gone down. I'm just gonna lay low"

"Tell me about it" I mumble from the passenger seat.

"Oh, did you want a hit of this?" The blonde asks Pope, holding out his joint.

"I keep the signal clear" Pope retorts.

"Addy" JJ speaks and I turn my head to see him offering me the joint.

"Thank you, squirt" I hum, taking it from him as he turns back to Pope.

"Dude, okay. Do you understand that your problem is that you don't get creative. If you got creative, then-" JJ is cut off.

"Look, I- I know I was wrong about the lighthouse, all right? And pretty much wrong about everything else going on. But I was right about one thing. Okay? My dad is trying to tell me something" John B rants.

I take a couple drags of the joint and pass it back to JJ who gratefully takes it from me.

"You okay, Addy?" I hear Pope ask me and I look at him in confusion.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I ask in reply.

Pope glances at Kiara then to John B and my curiosity heightens.

"What aren't you little dipshits tellin' me?" I demand.

"John B and Kie seen you in the station talking to Peterkin" JJ says nonchalantly.

"What did she want?" Kiara questions.

"She was asking about the party. Said she knows I was the one with the gun" I shrug.

"She knows?!" Pope shrieks.

"Are you in trouble?" Kiara wonders in concern.

"No. I denied everything, and she has no proof" I explain.

"Except a whole beach full of witnesses" John B buts in.