072. a fox & a vixen

Start from the beginning

"That's very personal." Stanley snickers and Maria elbows him making him grimace and clutch his ribs. "Okay—sorry Professor Rosemary." He chokes out and Maria smiles in achievement.

"Thank you for that Mr Harper, now, I'm sure you've all heard about patronus charms throughout your time at Hogwarts—can anyone please tell me the purpose of a patronus."

"It repels dementors and can be used to send detailed information to other wizards, particularly in emergencies." Maria states, grinning at Regulus who was stood with his mouth agape as he'd gone to speak but she'd beat him to it.

"Very good, Miss Potter." Professor Rosemary smiles. "Now, how many forms can a successful patronus take?"

"Two." Regulus says quickly and Maria narrows her eyes at her boyfriend who smirks as he speaks. "Incorporeal and corporeal."

"And what is an incorporeal patronus?"

"An incorporeal Patronus is one which does not resemble any living creature and has few distinguishing features." Maria states, straightening her posture. "It's sometimes used to hide a wizards identity."

"And a corporeal patronus?"

"One that is fully-formed, taking the shape of an animal." Maria says quickly and Regulus chuckles silently, pushing his tongue into the inside of his cheek. "It is the strongest form a Patronus can take, being able to fully drive Dementors away."

"Excellent, now, who can tell me what the key to producing a patronus is?"

"A happy memory." Regulus states and Stan snickers at Maria's petty facial expression, her arms folded over her stomach.

"Perfect, now for the incantation—repeat after me." She clears her throat. "Expecto patronum."

"Expecto patronum."

"Very good." She smiles cheerfully. "Now, watch carefully — you must have a powerful, happy memory prepared." The class nods and she clears her throat once again, waving her wand.

"Expecto patronum."

The students watch in awe as wisps of silvery vapor shoot out of Rosemary's wand, turning into a beautiful hare that prances happily throughout the room, hopping past Maria who smiles, her hair flipping around her as she turns to follow it, seeing in dash through the middle of Regulus and Alyssa before softly disappearing. The seventh years begin to do a quick round of applause for the teacher who smiles and jokingly curtsies, clearing her throat when she stands straight.

"Right—now, your turn." She gestures to the students. "Just, give it a go—remember, a very powerful memory. Off you go!"

"Bloody hell." Stan yawns, rubbing his eyes making Maria roll hers, thinking of what memory she could use. She knows Regulus had already mastered his patronus but she's never seen his corporeal one, only the ones used to send essential information to other witches sand wizards. "Right, go on then, Potter."

"Well, thank you." Maria scoffs slightly but with a smile on her face, Stan smirking at her.

"So. . .what exactly is going on with you and Stanley?" Regulus asks his friend who sighs, twirling her wand in her fingers. "And don't give me that 'we had a misunderstanding' shit that you two used to use in like fifth year."

"He feels things differently to me." Alyssa swallows, shrugging softly. "That's all."

Regulus' eyes soften as he stares at his best friend for a few seconds, his eyes them flicking between the two blonde Slytherins, one who's laughing at Regulus' girlfriend as wisps of silvery white shoot from her wand making her freak out and drop the wand onto the floor; one who's watching like he is, wishing to be in Maria's very position.