The Adults are Talking

Start from the beginning

Y/N sits in the dark room all by her lonesome, unwilling to go upstairs to join the rest of her family in their respective beds. Somehow, it's even lonelier being up there with the others than here by herself. At least here, there's nobody to make her feel lonely. She just feels lonely simply because she's alone.

A familiar smell suddenly envelopes her. Y/N lifts her head, feeling warmth on her hand. Her chest is warm with a fuzzy feeling that spreads throughout her body and all her limbs. Diluc. The single name crosses her mind. Her torso feels tighter than usual, though not yet constricting her breathing. She can hear the familiar echoes of a Cathedral as the mustiness of a church accompanies the scent of grapes.

Her eyes slowly open as they're met by colourful rays of sunlight passing through the stained glass windows. Thank Barbatos, it was just a nightmare. Y/N thinks as she awakes.

Y/N looks down at her body still dressed in her pants but her top has changed into a loose-fitting shirt over bandages wrapped around her ribs. "Gods, I feel like I was stomped on by a Ruin Guard." She manages to croak out in a hoarse voice. A warm grip on her left hand tightens as Y/N looks over to see Diluc staring at her with a complex expression.

"Y/N." He simply states, a mixture of relief and surprise in his voice.

"What's up?" She responds as she examines his face. Judging by the bags under his eyes, he clearly hasn't been sleeping as well as she had been.

He glares at her. "You are an idiot! You have got to be the most foolish person I have ever met. I can't even fathom how bad this could have been. You almost died!" He hisses out like a parent scolding their misbehaving child.

Memories of the fight with the Fatui and her wound suddenly flood back to her. "Sorry." Y/N sheepishly responds. Aw, he was worried about me. A small smile graces her lips at that thought.

The door suddenly swings open and Barbara's eyes widen seeing Y/N awake on the bed. "Y/N! Are you feeling okay?!" She rushes over.

Y/N nods. "I think I'm oka- ah!" Y/N winces at the pain shooting up her side as she tries to sit up.

"Lay down! Lay down!" Barbara says to her urgently. "You shouldn't be getting up and about for another day or two."
Barbara slaps her hands together in a prayer. "Thank Lord Barbatos, you're alive! I didn't know if I could save you. This is a miracle!"

The door suddenly slams open as Amber and Kaeya burst into the room. "Y/N IS AWAKE?!" They exclaim in unison before rushing over to the infirmary bed. Jean and Lisa follow them in as they push Barbara aside.

"Captain! You did amazing!" Amber exclaims. "You were so awesome and we arrested all twenty-two Fatui! I knew you were great, but seeing you in action was breathtaking! That is, until you passed out."

"The star of the show." Kaeya ruffles Y/N's hair. "You had us all worried sick. Especially, a certain red-haired man." He sniggers. "Every moment Diluc wasn't working, he was here right by your side." He teasingly says.

Heat rushes to Diluc's face as he turns his head dismissively of his brother's jabs. "It was only three days."

"I was out for three days?!" Y/N exclaims. "I should've wrapped up this case a while ago!"

"Don't worry about it. The case is closed." Lisa responds. "All the Fatui were arrested and dealt with accordingly. Most of them are spending a few more days behind bars before being sent back to Snezhnaya and Igor is being taken care of in Liyue for destroying the Northland Bank." She explains.

"And your sister paid the fine for the damages to all the Mondstadt buildings. This whole ordeal was orchestrated by her afterall." Kaeya adds.

"Nevermind the case-" Jean interjects with a stern tone and Y/N gulps.

"I'm so sorry I wasn't being careful enough, Master Jean!" Y/N pleads, interrupting her. "You were right about me not taking care of myself. I'll do better, pleasehavemercyonme!" She says all in one quick breath.

Jean lets out a sigh. "I know. You were just doing what you had to. Well, you'll be happy to know that there were no casualities and everyone came out with only minor cuts or bruises- other than you." She smiles at Y/N. "You did well. I'm proud to say you're a Captain of the Ordo Favonius."

Y/N beams. "Does this mean I won't be getting any penalties?"

"No." Jean states crossly. "You're on forced vacation for the rest of the week. No work until you're fully healed."

Y/N pouts. "Fine. I guess that's fair."

"We need to get back to work, but I'm glad to see you're okay." Jean says with a smile as she and the other Knights leave the infirmary.

Barbara lifts Y/N's shirt slightly to check on the bandages. "At least you aren't bleeding anymore." She lets out a sigh of relief before her eyes flicker towards Diluc. "I'll be back to check up on you later."

The infirmary door shuts, enclosing Diluc and Y/N in the silence. Diluc is the first to break the silence as he takes in a sharp breath.

"I'm also glad you're okay. Very glad." He states. If Diluc is being honest, he nearly had a heart attack when he heard from some of the Knights at Angel's Share that night talking about how Y/N was in the infirmary.

"Thanks." Y/N gives him a soft smile.

"For what?"

"For staying with me." Y/N responds. Y/N doesn't know how she would have woken up from her nightmare if he wasn't here by her side. "You should get some rest. You look atrocius." She chuckles.

Diluc scoffs. "This atrocity-" He gestures to himself. "Is because of you." He then glances at the clock on the wall before standing up from the wooden chair he was sitting in. "I need to get back to the Dawn Winery. If you need anything, don't hesitate to get someone to fetch me." He stops at the doorway. "And don't die while I'm gone." The door shuts.

Barely a minute later, the door opens again and in walks a familiar girl with two brown pigtails and a pot of red flowers.

Oh, Donna.