Story

Prologue

My name is David Miller. And I used to live an ordinary life. I had a loving family, friends, a home, and a great school. I lived in an amazing town named Frankfort. But one day all of that changed....

It all started when my family was going to go on a vacation. I was allowed to stay home because I was old enough to watch over the house; at age sixteen.

Hours had passed and they were supposed to call or text me when they landed but they hadn't yet. I had just suspected there was a delay at the airports so they weren't able to yet. So I decided to take my mind off of them and turn on the television to see what was going on in the world. Several minutes had passed and I got hungry, so I decided to get some dinner. I got up off of the couch and had my back turned to the TV. I was just about to enter the kitchen when I heard a report come across the TV that made me stop dead in my tracks.

"We have just gotten reports of a plane disappearing over the Pacific Ocean," said the reporter. "It was flight 2307, a passenger plane that started its journey from Detroit, Michigan to Honolulu, Hawaii. It consisted of two hundred passengers and six crew members. Search parties are currently being dispatched as we speak."

After hearing the report, I was in shock and disbelief. Tears started to form in my eyes and I began to sob. "My-my family... they were on that plane..." I thought to myself. I was heartbroken.

The coming weeks didn't get any easier for me. Because I was only sixteen, I had to leave my home and town and live in a foster home. Luckily I was able to bring a few things from my actual life. My Xbox and necklace. A few weeks had passed and it wasn't long before I was part of another family. A foster family that lived in the city of Grand Rapids. The family consisted of a mother, father, and two older brothers. The mother was a bartender at a local bar, the father was a store clerk and both of the brothers worked at the store with the father occasionally. I was happy to be with another family, but my mood quickly changed.

My two new "brothers" only saw me as someone they could boss around. They often threatened to destroy my Xbox or take and break my necklace in front of my own eyes if I didn't do as I was told. I ran to the mother to try and see if she could do something about her sons, but I quickly learned that the parents weren't much better. They were both heavy drinkers. I sometimes snapped at my brothers and tried to tell them off. And when I did she would then slap me with metal sandals.

But lord help me if I even whispered a curse word while anyone was home. I once let a word slip from my tongue after my mother hit me with a metal sandal, and my father was told about it. Long story short, I had a stern talking to with the largest and hardest belt. Because I was never actually their son; they forced me to do the majority of heavy lifting and chores around the house. I was basically the unpaid maid and butler.

It wasn't long before I started going to the local school. Everytime I went to the new school I was a little grateful because it meant I was able to get away from my bad family for a while. But I quickly learned that my new school was terrible too. Me and my classmates were assigned to do tons of work.

I was one of the shyer kids in my grade. So it was difficult for me to talk to anyone. I did occasionally get into a conversation with a few of my classmates, but they never really lasted long. No one I had talked to had a similar interest to me.

I felt as if I was alone in a foreign land. I thought I would never meet anyone, become friends with anyone, or be accepted into any of the school groups.

Until one day I met two amazing people that soon became my only two best friends. A guy named Xavier Frost and a girl named Ashley Johnson.

They saw me sitting alone one day at lunch and invited me to eat with them. And ever since that moment we had been firm friends.