────── fourteen

Start from the beginning

Chifuyu furrowed his eyebrows. "But the only time someone like Hoshino and Kurayami interfered, was when you were involved."

Akkiko nodded, pushing her discomfort to the back of her mind. "Exactly. That is only because I will inherit the firm when I turn eighteen. The firm is crucial to Pandemonium. They earn most of their profit from illegal deals that the firm is involved in. My existence alone threatens all of that. If we use me as bait, they won't hesitate to show up. They will want to see with their own eyes that the threat is eliminated."

Immediately, Chifuyu and Baji rejected her idea.

"No way."

"That's out of the question."

"Are you insane?"

"That would be suicide, Kiko!"

"Besides, Mikey won't allow it," Baji claimed. "When it comes to family, he doesn't go easy on anyone."

"Which is exactly why Mikey will want to be part of it," retorted Akiko, smiling triumphantly. "With Kazutora reporting false information back to Pandemonium, they will think that Mikey and I are in different parts of Tokyo. They had to create a diversion before, all just to get to me. He can launch a surprise attack on them. He might be young and short compared to a grown man, but he has an advantage with his speed and expertise in fighting."

Chifuyu eyed her suspiciously. "What happened to wanting to fight this battle alone?"

A smile tugged at Akiko's lips when she met Chifuyu's gaze. "I promised Mikey we would fight as a family. The other day, I came to realize something important. It changed my mind. Going into this battle alone is wrong. But I also won't let you fight it for me. We will face this challenge together."

"You've changed," noted Chifuyu. He, too, was smiling. "You seem more confident."

"That's what happens when you spent time with me," Baji proudly stated and ruffled Akiko's hair.

"Whatever," she huffed, rolling her eyes at the ravenette.

"Have you eaten yet?" Baji asked. "Let's go for some peyoung yakisoba. I'm starving."

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

──── ˚✩ ༘*ೄ˚ ────

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

BLUE SKIES FADED INTO SHADES OF ORANGE when Chifuyu and Akiko strolled down the street together. They had just parted ways with Baji, who claimed to have some business to tend to. But Chifuyu refused to take Akiko home just yet, saying she had wasted enough of her time sitting inside. With the promise of treating her to some ice cream, he had successfully convinced her to go to a nearby park with him.

"What made you give that kind of promise to Mikey?" Chifuyu asked out of curiosity.

Shoving a spoonful of ice cream into her mouth, Akiko closed her eyes in delight as the cold deliciousness melted on her tongue. She took a moment to think about her answer. There was no doubt Chifuyu would try to talk her out of learning how to fight. He wanted to protect her, and she had grown too fond of him to refuse him. But she also couldn't lie to him.