chapter 10

They arrive at the Half Moon at a quarter 'til, Josh immediately running off to go warm up and rehearse a bit with Niall and Ed and their bassist, Sandy.

Louis and Eleanor find an available table near the back, the place already packed at the popular evening hour.

"Niall and Ed are incredible songwriters, mate, just you wait," Louis says conversationally, as their drinks arrive.

Eleanor smiles, taking a long pull of her beer. "I'm genuinely excited to hear them play."

"I am too," Louis agrees, pausing to sip his own drink, "I don't get to hear the full band very often; usually it's just Niall loitering in my shop and serenading me. He's sick with a guitar."

"In year ten, I started this band with a few of my mates from school," Eleanor says, eyes twinkling as if recalling some humorous memory, "Played a few gigs around town, even did the formal once."

Louis blinks in surprise, always having regarded Eleanor as the solo act she is. "Were you any good?"

The younger girl grins, taking another drink and wiping at her mouth with the back of his hand.

"Nah, we were shit," she replies, with a laugh, "Called ourselves 'Bowling For Soup' trying to sound proper indie 'nd all that."

"I was in a band too," Louis says offhandedly, laughing at the look of surprise that appears on Eleanor's face.

"You play?"

"Sing," Louis corrects, cringing at some of his own bad memories, "Though I do play a bit of piano, as it were."

"I'm going to have to hear you at some point," Eleanor demands, and Louis just shakes his head, laughing.

"Wouldn't want to put you through that, love," he says, winking, "I said I sing, didn't say well."

"I can tell you'd be good," Eleanor replies earnestly, continuing her explanation upon seeing the question in Louis' eyes, "No, really. There's just something about a person's voice, and yours is–"

Eleanor cuts herself off, looking bashful.

"It's?" Louis prompts, still curious.

"Nice," Eleanor replies quickly, "It's... it's nice, that's all."

The brown-haired girl's cheeks are red, and she won't make eye contact, choosing instead to look around the pub with clearly feigned interest.

Odd.

"I almost auditioned for the X-Factor one year," Louis comments, in an effort to change the subject, though he sticks within the music realm as it apparently interests both of them.

Eleanor's head whips back around. "Really?" she blurts.

"Yeah, a couple years back," Louis explains, chuckling nervously, "I was eighteen and a little too full of myself after having played the lead role in the school musical the previous year. I actually met Niall while I was waiting in line and he asked to sing me a few bars of his audition because he was so nervous, poor thing."

"What kept you?" Eleanor asks.

"I heard Niall's voice and I chickened out right then and there," Louis replies, and this time Eleanor laughs as well, "I gave him my number, told him to text me when he got famous, and hopped right out of line."

"I'm guessing he didn't win?"

"Nah, got cut right before the judges' houses."

Eleanor hums sympathetically, tracing his finger around the rim of his glass.