The Rings

So Pinterest Prompt~ "When a girl turns seventeen, the top five suitable matches for one girl are instructed to buy her a ring that they think represents her the most. On her eighteenth birthday, she is presented with the box and told to choose a ring. She must marry the man who bought that ring." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Charlotte Phillips.” The projector showed a picture of an average looking girl. Strawberry Blonde Hair, Emerald Green Eyes, a splay of Freckles across her face.

“Matthew Scott.” A young man got out of his chair and walked forward.  He didn’t know her very well, but he had met her a few times at school. He always thought she was pretty and intelligent, but past that he didn’t know. He had black hair and blue eyes that made most girls swoon, but not her. Never her.

“Daniel Foster.” He’d known her since 6th grade when they had started a study group together. He’d never been much to look at, Lanky, with floppy hair, glasses and braces, but in this last year of high school, he’d gotten contacts, braces taken off, and had a bit more added muscle to his figure. His light brown hair had grown to fit his facial shape and no longer covered his Hazel eyes. But she hadn’t seemed to notice.

“Michael Roberts.” He was stunned. As Quarter back on the high school football team, he could catch any girl’s attention; except hers. He was tall and muscular with Blonde hair and Icy blue eyes. He’d always found her enticing. She was pretty, smart, and witty. But he was a Jock, exactly what she despised. 

“Samuel Phelps.” He stood up without much enthusiasm. They had never really got along well, but he still had a bit of a crush on her since 5th grade. He was your average guy, brown curls and brown eyes with an upturned nose. He never really wore anything but jeans and a t-shirt. He was hardly a suitable match for her.

“Hunter Crown.” He sat there stock still for almost 30 seconds. “Hunter Crown.” The voice called again. He stumbled to his feet and walked to the stage, pinching himself the whole way there. They had been Best Friends since the 1st grade. How could he possibly be one of her suitors? Sure he’d liked her ever since about 3rd grade, but he’d always considered her as off-limits. As soon as he hit junior year, he had girls falling at his feet with his messy black hair and startling Green eyes. But he didn’t let his feelings ruin their relationship.

“You each have 24 hours. 24 hours to pick a ring you think describes her best. 24 hours to have it here and ready to be given to her. Whichever ring she picks, she will marry whoever bought it. Since 4 of you will be eliminated, you each have a set fund of $10,000. Your time begins now.

 3:58 P.M.

Matthew wandered around the jewelry store looking in the rings. “Ring test?” He heard a voice say behind him. He popped his head up and saw an elderly woman smiling kindly at him. He nodded and said “I’m thinking about that one.” Pointing to a gold band with sapphires encrusted in it. She smiled and showed him hers, which was almost the same. “I’m sure she will love it. Good luck.” As she walked away He called the Jeweler over and had the ring prepared.

7:58 P.M.

Daniel walked into his father’s store and nodded at him before walking over to the ring case. He knew she liked the simpler things in life so he looked over the rings before calling his Dad over. “That one.” He spoke as he pointed to the silver band with a tiny ruby flower on top. His Dad clapped him on the back. “You’ll do great son. Now help me close up the shop and I’ll get this all prepped for you, ok?”

8:58 P.M.

Michael being Michael had put off ring searching till morning. He then proceeded to search for the flashiest ring in the store.  He finally found a ring that had diamonds all around the band with a big one smack dab in the middle. “This’ll do.” He smiled brightly at the clerk.

10:58 A.M.

Sam couldn’t decide what ring to choose. When his eyes hit the perfect ring, he smiled. It was a simple band with little emerald leaves coming off it. He thought of her immediately. He had decided to just accept the fact that he was one of her matches, whether he liked it or not. (Which he did.)

2:58 P.M.

Hunter was frantic. He couldn’t find the store they had gone to 2 days ago. She had taken a liking to a certain ring and he was going to find it if it killed him. And since he had under an hour it just might. He then saw it, “Blue Bell Jewelers”. He took a sharp right turn and practically ran into the store from his car. He finally found the ring. It was a black band with silver swirls and a blue sapphire in the middle. He bought the ring and left, hurrying to the Test center.

3:45 P.M.

The rings were all in place and each of the boys were in a separate room with no windows and one door. Charlotte Slowly walked up to the podium. She was more nervous then she’d ever been in her whole life. As she slowly lifted the box, she immediately shook her head at the Gold and Sapphire ring, Ruby ring, and Diamond ring. They weren’t her. She looked appreciatively at the emerald leaves before turning and gasping at the black and sapphire one. She had been ogling at it the Day her and Hunter went to the store. Surely he couldn’t be… no, why would he, it’s not like he liked her or anything.  Still… She looked between the two rings. Which would she pick…? “This one.” The administrator picked it up, placed it in its box and sent her to room 487. As her heels clicked the tile floor, her dress flowed out behind her. She placed her hand on the door handle and took a deep breath before opening the door. She almost dropped the box.   Hunter looked at her in surprise. “You… You picked me?” She just ran forward and hugged him. He took the box from her hands before kneeling down and opening it. “Charlotte, will you marry me?”

3:58 P.M. 

"Yes."