Chapter 1

Soft hands touch my shoulders and gives me a shake awake, ruining my deprived slumber. I didn't get home until two in morning because Jaxon was leaving the hospital so late. I had no idea that his injuries were minor and that it would take a complete week to heal completely. I made the bargain, only thinking he wouldn't recover so quickly. I'm sure he had broken ribs and other vital bones malfunctioning, but his charts came out to be clean. But Mr. Jox never ceases to amaze me, even in the most insane moments of my life. My eyes drone awake, witnessing light barely coming through my curtains. I look up and see my mother, hovering over my dead body, grinning with lovely eyes. It's strange seeing her up at seven in the morning when she's still recuperating from her virus. It's been a week and Dr. Foster has her on steroids, giving her this energy that makes her seem like her old self again. I'm grateful for Jaxon's gift, but sometimes it takes its toll, especially at seven in the morning. I just fell asleep five hours ago and I'm back up, having to move around.

"Good morning," Mom greets, kissing my cheek that seemed drenched. Fūck, I drooled again. Her thumb pierces my cheek as she plans to remove my saliva. "Even after all these years and you're still drooling." She reminisces, yanking my lampshade's chain to brighten my room.

I groan at the immediate light that stunned my vision and made it unclear to focus. "Mom, hi. What-what are you doing up?" I stutter, prompting my dead weight up on my elbow to turn towards her.

"I don't want you to miss your flight," She reminds me. I forgot all about my flight that was scheduled two weeks ago, because of Jaxon's accident and juggling the idea of actually marrying him. "It leaves at eight-thirty, but I want you to be on your way to the airport before you miss it completely."

I rub my forehead with my hands and eased my vision back to focus. My suitcases stood proudly packed and stacked by the door. Is it strange that I only unpacked them, but didn't pack them? I'm sure Kevin or my mom helped with the headache of their stubbornness of closing. A tired yawn bustles out of my system as I stretch. "Ok, I'm going to get ready. Thanks."

She nods and gets up, making my bed feel empty without her body weighing the other portion down. "Ok, I'm going to get you and Kevin some breakfast before you leave. He said he's coming around seven thirty, so..." She announced, leaving my bedroom.

I drop my head on my comfortable pillow and my heavy eyelids threatened me to fall back asleep. The most thing I don't deprive for is waking up at seven in the morning. But I have to head back to campus anyway, mostly because I miss the California weather of maybe fifties and sixties degrees. This past week in negative degrees isn't cut out for me anymore.

My phone rings and it's Jaxon calling at seven-o'five in the morning. Why the hell is he awake? I urge my body up and groan my rage into his ear. "Why are you awake?"

He gives a spinal chilling with his husky chuckling that I've never grown immune to. "You answered." I roll my eyes and cradled my pillow, hugging it while fighting the urge to fall asleep. "Well I can tell you're tired and that's why I'm offering to take you back to California later today if you're too tired to go right now."

"No," I decline. I rub my eyes and ease up, grunting as I look around my room.

I could just imagine how his eyebrow rises at my sudden choice. "You don't want to-"

"No, don't take it personal," I advise, scratching my cheek that had matted hair stuck to it. I really need to stop drooling. "It's just you'll be a distraction and I need to go back with a clear head."

He laughs, making me want to hang up the phone. It's too early for this and I have less than thirty minutes to get ready for Kevin's arrival and me leaving. "How can you go back with a clear head if you know you're engaged?"

Of course once every girl gets proposed to and confirms their approval to get married, they spring into mental details about their dream wedding. Ooh, I want a lavender theme. Ooh, I want a horse ice sculpture holding me on the back. Vanilla or chocolate cake? My dress has to be on fleek! Whatever!

My heavy eyes drop and I croon over the phone with a small droning sound. My head dims down, slowly easing down my chest and then I instantly catch myself with my eyes wide open. "Jaxon, please!"

"Ok," he eased back on his smothering pressure. He's still ever so pushy even when he's on meds to calm his quick agility. "Well I won't be going back until maybe around six p.m. I have some things to handle here with my firm in town. I figured you'd say yes and after I'm done, we'd have dinner."

My eyes drag closed again and my fingers had to pry open my lids. "Well since you've been stalking me and predicting my intentions, I guess I have to shuffle myself around. So I'm going back to campus."

"Ok," he approves, nodding his head over the speaker. "I'll see you in California?"

"Yes," I confirm, sighing with a harsh yawn that wasn't intended. "I have to get ready. I'll see you later, Jaxon."

"Ok," he says, "Mrs. Jox."

I weakly grin, letting sleep take over my body. My thumb touches the red button, terminating our conversation. My phone drops on the floor and so does my body in bed, curling in my covers and pillows.