chapter 3

"I realized it about 2 weeks ago ," the Darkling said as he settled down into Alina's window seat , his eyes fixed on the full moon . "One of the sun summoners that were created that faithful day died . It was murder by a young infernai's amateur cut ." Alina's breath caught , for about 2 weeks she felt the way she had during her childhood, unable to sleep , loss of appetite . She'd assumed that it was the new baby , but was it her power ? Had it returned and not using it was taking its usual toll ? The Darkling seemed to have caught on to her thoughts . Alina shook her head , hope was futile. She had lost her powers and she would know if it had come back.  She walked up to the Darkling and took his hand . "There , " she said "I'm not lighting up " he held her hand gently. "Maybe it's too split up to show " he said in barely a whisper. 

Mal steered Alina away from the Darkling. She had become quiet and dazed , all thought lost behind those brilliant brown eyes. The Darkling looked at Mal. You did that . His voice seemed to be in Mal's head . Mal looked around the room , trying to feel not as guilty when his eyes fell on the perfume Genya bought Alina as a present . He could get word to them , but how ? It took days to reach the little palace and the Darkling was there now . If he suddenly turned on them , they didn't have any Grisha reinforcements. There were a few children that didn't wish to leave when they found out that they were Grisha , but was Mal really that desperate to ask his children to fight ? He would be just as bad as those people who recruited him all those years ago . He had a feeling that the Darkling could still summon those creatures , his children would be greatly outdone.

The Darkling walked out the door and Alina still dazed , followed him . Perhaps habit , Mal thought bitterly . He too , followed the Darkling outside.

In the courtyard there were 3 Nichevo ' ya holding down a man . Alina's hand shot to her shoulder where on of those monsters had bitten her all those years ago . Mal stood straighter "I can tolerate you , but take those creatures away from my wife and my family. " . The Darkling ignored him. Alina kept watch of the windows, hoping that no child couldn't sleep and decided to look outside. These creatures would haunt their dreams for the rest of their lives . When she felt certain, she gave her attention back to the Darkling. He raised his hands in what she understood to late was a small version of the Cut . The man who was being restrained by the Nichevo ' ya was decapitated in a swift moment. Alina had to press her hand to her mouth to stop herself from screaming. The Darkling took her free hand and she lit up , she lit up dimly like a dying light and she didn't seem to notice. She was too shocked , to terrified that the past had returned . She walked over to the man's body and saw a sun tattoo on his hand , he was one of the sun summoners.