Childhood

"Tanjiro what happened sweetheart?!" A worried mother yelled running towards her crying 4 year old. "MOMMY" the kid cried out. "My ankle!" He choked out in another sob. The mother quickly got down on her knees next to him taking his left ankle in her hands. Suddenly the little boy's cries turned into sniffles. "I feel fine now.." he muttered making his mother's eyes widen in shock. She rolled up her sons pants to see his ankle completely fine. "Are you sure you were even hurt in the first place?" His mother asks concerned setting his ankle down gently on the ground.

"I'm sure I was! I would never lie to you mama!" The boy pouted "I even heard something crack I swear!" his mother sighed "let's just get inside, I think we've played enough for tonight. Alright Tanjiro?" His mother said giving him a reassuring smile to which he just nods to quickly standing up.

Present time
"Tanjiro I think it's best if you take a break for a bit. It isn't healthy for you to always go down in the cold." His mother told him. "I'll be fine mother, I promise! Please let me do this for us. I want us to be able to eat good during New Years" Tanjiro whined back.

"I could go down, then we can still get some money and you can take a break" one of his younger sisters says walking going up to him. "I agree with mother. You need a break every now and then Tanjiro. Even though you're able to heal yourself doesn't mean you're unstoppable" she chuckled out as Tanjiro just turns away with a huff. "Fine! But you have to promise me to be careful! And don't come back unless it's light out. I don't want you walking up a hill in snowy weather while it's dark. You could get hurt." "I promise onii-chan. I won't do anything stupid!!"

"Now go lay down and rest. I'll help her get ready" his mother said placing her hand on his back and he just looks at her nodding then walking out of the the room they all share. "Come on nezuko let's get the basket prepared for you" her mother smiled at her and she just nods smiling back, both of them walking off to prepare the basket.

-

Nezuko pov:
"I'm off now mother!" I say pulling the basket up on my back. "Please do stay safe though nezuko, you don't regenerate like your brother" she responds placing her hand on my cheek. "I will don't worry mom, I wouldn't want to worry you or Tanjiro" I chuckled placing my hand on top of hers. She just nods smiling moving her hand down.

I give her a kiss on the cheek and walk off waving to my mother. Not long after I run into Tanjiro with my youngest brother on his back. "Are you heading down?" Tanjiro stops to ask me. "Yep! That way I'll have plenty of time to sell out and get home." I respond. "Here take one of my earrings, fathers spirit will keep you safe." He says removing his right earring putting it in my ear.

"Thank you, but are you sure? Don't these earrings mean a lot to you?" "They do but you mean more, and if these earrings help protect you, you can use it. I can't imagine what I would do if I lost you." He say smiling at me placing his hand on my head. "Stay safe alright." He says walking away with my youngest brother. I just watch him then start walking back down.

-

'What a long day, I'm exhausted!' I thought to myself as I stretched my arms yawning. 'How does Tanjiro do this everyday. I feel as if I could collapse' I whine slowly making my way back up. "Nezuko! It's getting dark out I think it'll be best if you stay with me until daylight comes." I turn to see old man saburo calling me. "I guess it is getting dark," I mutter as I look up at the sky. "Thank you saburo-san! My brother didn't want me to go up after dark anyway." I chuckle walking back down the small part of the mountain I had already went up and go to his door.

-

"Thank you for letting me stay the night! I would have gotten an ear full if I had went home" I say rubbing my neck as old man saburo just nods his head. "Anytime, come down whenever you need alright?" He says as I bow. "Thank you again!" I yell out walking back up towards my home.

As I walked up the mountain towards my house I could see a trail of blood starting to form on the snow ahead of me. 'What the..' I thought to myself confused. I started walking a bit faster worried for my family since we were the only ones on this mountain.

The closer I got to my small home the bigger the blood spots got, at this point I was very worried. As I came up to my house I see a big area of snow covered in blood outside the front of my house. I quickly run over to the door dropping the basket off my shoulders. My eyes widen in shock as I start screaming.

In my house was my younger siblings and my mothers blood covered bodies all with dull eyes. "OH MY GOD..! WHAT HAPPENED..?!" I yelled still in shock as I fell to my knees tears coming out of my eyes. As soon as my knees hit the floor I realized Tanjiro wasn't here with them.

I get up just as quickly as I fell down running out and looking around the house for some sign on him. 'Was that blood trail I saw earlier his..?!' I thought to myself quickly running back down the hill. "Oh god.. I should have never gone yesterday..!" I say to myself getting distracted in the process leading to me slipping off the side of the small cliff I was just running down. I was about to let out a scream until I feel someone grab me soon finding myself on the ground safely.

I open my eyes to see someone standing in front of me. I quickly look up to see a man with long black hair pulled into a low ponytail. He had an half red and half pattern haori on and.. A SWORD ON HIS WAIST?!.

Damn 🥸

Story Words: 1091