Epilogue

As I walk by the church where the "literal heart of Jesus" remained, I couldn't help but think of the first time I met Hazel Grace. I smiled at the memory and sticked a cigarette in between my teeth. I used to visit her grave every day for two months. Slowly, I started going less and less. I went once every week, then I went once every month. Eventually, I only visited her on three special days every year. Those days were, the day we met, the day she died, and the day that I realized that I loved Hazel. Today was the third reason. As I got stopped in front of the cemetery I got the same feeling of nervousness in my stomach. I breathed in deeply and walked towards her gravestone. When I stood in front of her grave, I felt my face break out into a smile as I read what her grave said.

            "Some infinities are bigger than other infinities." — Peter Van Houten

I could still remember going to Amsterdam with Hazel and visiting that old grouch years ago. I could still remember dining with Hazel at that fancy restaurant and "drinking the stars." As I thought about that, I placed the bottle of "stars" in front of her grave and thought about Hazel.

            "I still love you Hazel. I haven't broken my promise and I never will Hazel Grace." I said quietly. I could hear footsteps approaching me and without even looking, I knew who it was.

            " Hey honey. How are you doing?" I glanced at the hand that was now on my shoulder and looked at the ring that I had given the woman behind me, asking her to be my wife two years ago.

            " I'm okay I guess." I said not looking away from Hazel's grave. My wife looked at her grave silently. She knew how much Hazel means to me, even now ten years after her death. I was 28 years old and I was still okay. I was okay even without my Hazel Grace. I could keep up with my promise to Hazel, I knew I could.

            " So are you ready for Hazel's first soccer game?" I smiled at what we name our daughter. I nodded and said,

            " Yeah, I'm ready." I kissed her on the cheek and watched as she made her way to the car that was parked out front. I looked at Hazel's grave again and said,

            " Everything's okay Hazel Grace. Don't worry, I haven't broken my promise yet and I'm not planning on doing so. I love you. Okay Hazel Grace?" With that, I walked away from Hazel Grace's grave and made my way to the car waiting for me. I had a game to go to.