PROLOGUE

AYA STARTLED AWAKE, GRASPING AT HER CHEST THROUGH THE FABRIC OF HER SHIRT.  STILL LAYING ON HER BACK, SHE STARED UP AT THE DULL GREY CEILING IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO HER DUE TO THE HEIGHT OF HER BED.

She took deep breaths, feeling her hearts beating rapidly in her chest beneath the palm of her hand, trying to shut out the memory of her most recent nightmare; the one that had suddenly woken her up.

A loud buzzer came from outside, and the door to her cell flew open. Aya propped herself up on her elbows to see who had opened the door, and much to her disdain, it was Waller.

"Get up, we need you." Waller demanded, voice firm as always and her mouth drawn into a thin line; arms crossed.

Aya sighed, knowing exactly why she was needed.

A familiar face appeared behind Waller, smiling widely upon seeing Aya. A small ray of sunshine behind a stormy dark cloud, in a way.

Aya grinned back, suddenly rushing to sit up.

"Flag!" Aya exclaimed, before smacking her head on the ceiling with a loud bang.

"Fuck!" She hissed, grabbing her forehead. She heard a small snort, and she could see Flag trying to restrain his laughter from behind Waller; smothering his smile with his hand.

Waller huffed, walking away; her heels clicking across the floor.

"Good to see you again, Banshee." Rick said, walking into the cell with clothes folded over his arm.

"Told you, can call me Aya." She playfully chastised him, hopping down from her bed and landed in front of him, the sound of her hitting the ground basically non existent.

She took the clothes from him, placing them on the small desk she had been granted by Waller and inspecting them to see what kind of uniform she had been given for the mission.

"And I told you that you can call me Rick when we're not on a mission." Flag retorted, a smug and teasing smirk on his face.

Aya stuck her tongue out at him, before waving her hand to gesture for him to leave.

"Go, need to dress." Aya shooed him, laughing when he pouted on his way out.

She liked seeing him happy and able to joke, a vast difference from when she first met him. He used to be very serious and dedicated to the mission, always angry. He was much skinnier then too.

Ever since the defeat of the enchantress, they had become good friends. She had helped him say goodbye to June for the last time, and ever since he tried to visit as much as he could to keep her company.

Waller didn't like that much though, and did whatever she could to find ways to keep them apart.

Aya decided she quite liked the outfit she had been granted for the mission, very futuristic and sleek in its design. She especially liked the finger gloves built into the jacket.

Aya stepped out of her cell, jumping slightly when she saw that Waller was standing right beside the door; leaning against the wall.

"I have something for you," Waller held out her hand, grabbing Aya's arm and placing something on her wrist.

"A watch? Am I bad at time?" Aya chuckled, quickly going quiet when Waller remained stony-faced.

Waller pressed a button on the side of the watch, and Aya suddenly felt very strange as light washed over her.

"It'll disguise you, so people will think you're human. Will make the mission much easier, I assure you." Waller explained, watching as Aya looked down at herself.

Waller was right, she did look human. Unnervingly so.

Her blue skin was now dark brown, and she was a fair bit shorter than she was before. She reached up to her ears, finding that they were small and round instead of long and pointed.

She opened her mouth so Waller could see inside.

"Fangs gone?" Aya asked, mouth still wide open. Her eyes were wide, crossed as if she was trying to see inside her own mouth.

"Yes, your fangs are gone." Waller drawled, looking exasperated, trying to look anywhere else than Aya's mouth.

Aya stuck her tongue out and realized that it wasn't forked anymore, humming with curiosity.

"Are you done?" Waller sighed, voice sharp and her brow raised.

Aya slowly closed her mouth, looking at the floor.

"Yes ma'am."

"Good, I'll brief you on the way."