𝐎𝐍𝐄 - 𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐝

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

!! this story is a reader x ray-- ( from the promised neverland franchise ) --but is HEAVILY inspired by the song of Achilles, written by the talented Madeline Miller

!! this story is a reader x ray-- ( from the promised neverland franchise ) --but is HEAVILY inspired by the song of Achilles, written by the talented Madeline Miller. if you know of the devastating romance that was once upon Achilles and Patroclus, you'll know this story won't have a pleasant ending. this takes place in ancient greek around the time of the trojan war. Ray is basically Achilles in this book, and you are Patroclus. however, this is my story and it will be much different from the story of Patroclus and Achilles. !!

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

╔═════════════════╗

according to men, the only purpose of women is to bear their children and to tend to their sexual urges. ❞

╚═════════════════╝

          My stomach grumbled as I sank my toes in the dirt along the river. I shielded my eyes from the sun as my eight brothers splashed in the water. I want to join them, to swim, but my father forbids it. I do not understand why he won't let me act as a ten-year-old would, to play and run. He says it's "unladylike", and that my "future husband" will strongly dislike it. Why does any of that matter? I'm ten, I'm a princess, I should be allowed to do as I please. My brothers can, so why can't I?
          I shifted my gaze to my father, who nodded proudly at his sons, feeling accomplished as he has raised such strong young men. I flinched when his hand touched my shoulder.
           "y/n, we have something important to discuss at dinner this evening."
I stared at the glistening stream underneath the sunshine.
          "What will we discuss?" I ask.
He let out a 'humph' in annoyance.
          "As I said, something important. You will have to wait to find out until tonight."
I blinked, expecting the worse.
          "Okay." I responded blankly.

         The clatter of fine dining utensils echoed through the grand dining room. My brothers dug into their meals, the complete opposite of using manners. I don't see why my father adores them so much, in my opinion, they're disgusting.
          "Silence, please, my children and wife."
And silence it became.
          "It is time to discuss what shall happen to my daughter, y/n." The king raised his hand to gesture towards me. "You are ten, and there is no reason to keep you here any longer. You have been sold to the king of Phthia, and will grow up there training in the palace until the day you marry one of the exiled boys growing up there."
He exhaled with relief and smiled to himself, not caring about the fact he has just sold away his only daughter but pleased with the fact that my role in his life is said and done.
I didn't bother to put up a fight, the outcome would remain the same. I inhaled and exhaled deeply.
          "When will I be leaving?"
"Tomorrow," he responded.
          I simply nodded and continued eating. My brother's expressions did not change, they could care less. Except one, Kyros, the third-oldest. He is 16. Kyros did not dare to speak on the matter, or even show his growing sorrow. I could see right through him, though, as he barely touched his food. He would miss me, he does already.
           My mother's expression remained blank as always. I've never seen her smile, cry, be angry, or show any emotion, really. She is thirty-two years old and was married to my father at the young age of fourteen. My father, however, is sixty-four. He was forty-six and she was fourteen when they were not only married, but when my oldest brother was born. He is eighteen now.
           My parent's marriage was forced, obviously. He wanted her, he liked how she was young. She didn't like it all. She never has and is most likely broken and empty by all the years of unhappiness and meaningless life.
          Maybe I will grow to be like my mother. Maybe I will never be happy again.

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

          My body swayed with the waves as the boat rocked back and forth. The dock of Phthia was closer than before, less than three minutes away by now. The more we inch towards the small kingdom, the more I feel my heart shatter.
          I cupped my hands around my eyes to get a better look at the figures on the dock. Two young women, likely teenagers not too far from my age, and two men. Guards, by the looks of it.            None of my family came along to wave me goodbye. This was a small ship, the only people other than me being a palace sailor, his wife, a servant girl, and two guards just in case.
          I forced myself off the boat and onto the long wooden dock. I remained silent, blocking out the chatter of those around me.
          "Welcome, princess." The two women curtsied in my honor. I didn't feel much like a princess at the current time.
          I bowed my head in a way to show gratitude, following behind them as they lead me through the kingdom towards the palace. It wasn't a far walk overall, I was relieved when we finally reached the palace though.
          This castle was smaller than the one I grew up in, but it was fancy and beautiful. They gave me a quick tour, showing me where the boys slept and where the girls slept. The way it is here is that when boys are cast from their kingdoms, exiled, the king of Phthia takes them in with welcoming arms for a second chance, training them to be a strong army. The girls, however, are sold to the king or just sent here when their families don't want them. They are trained to be good housewives and fulfill all the needs of men. According to men, the only purpose of women is to bear their children and to tend to their sexual urges. I, unfortunately, will be one of those unlucky girls.

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

1046 words