The Cross 1 Part 58

Start from the beginning

"Denmark drew all of these," Coral remarked, "He painted this entire room.  Look at the drawings in the diary.  They match the walls."

"The question is why?  What's he trying to tell us?" Kie questioned.

"It's gotta have something to do with the key, right?"

"Yeah, but what?"

"How did you know to uncover this?" John B asked Sarah.

"I didn't," she responded, "It was like this when I got home."

"Then who did this?"

"The freaks," came a voice from behind them causing them all to jump in fright.

"Wheezie," Sarah hurried across the room to hug her sister.

"What freaks are you talking about, Wheeze?" JJ asked.

"Uh....that sick lady and her guard dog," the girl responded, "They showed up last night and wanted to talk to Rafe."

"Okay, wait.  Pale blonde lady?"  "She have crutches?"

"Yeah," Wheezie responded to JJ and Coral's questions.

"It's gotta be Limbrey," Pope said as John B asked Wheezie what exactly happened.

"First, they searched the whole house looking for something, and then Rafe sent me upstairs.  But I didn't want to miss out, so I listened through the grate," she told them, "They started ripping the wall paper saying they found it.  They were talking about getting across the sand flamingo."

"That's code.  That's code for something."

"It's not code," Coral told him before turning to Wheezie, "Do you mean the cross?  The Cross of Santo Domingo?"

"Yeah, maybe," the girl replied with a shrug, "Oh, and they were talking about angels.  A lot of angel talk, I don't know."

"Denmark's famous last words.  He buried the real treasure at the foot of the angel.  They're looking for an angel.  We have to find the angel in the room," Pope told them.

"Start looking."

"Spread out."

"There's a church over here."

"Yes, check the church."

"Wait could this be an angel?"

"Guys, what is going on?" Wheezie questioned as the six of them scattered around the room searching the paintings on the wall.

"Hey, yo!  I think I found it."

Hurrying over to JJ who was running his fingers over a painting of a large tree Coral gasped, "That's the tree out on Goat Island," she realized.

"Yeah, and you know what it's called?" he asked, smiling at her.

"Angel Oak," she laughed reaching up and kissing him, "Good job, Baby."

"Look, there's the keyhole," Pope said reaching out and tracing what looked like a key hole painted into the tree.

"So what does that mean?"

"It means the cross is buried at the foot of the angel," Pope answered Sarah, "We gotta go!"

"Guys, I'm like Sherlock Holmes," JJ declared as they hurried from the room and back down to the Twinkie.

"Yeah, hurry up Sherlock!"

Jumping back into the Twinkie John B drove them out towards Goat Island, "Guys, we're coming up on Freedman's Church," Pope told them, "That's the church that Denmark built for all the slaves he freed."