NINE- The Bittersweet End Of Us

Days turned into weeks and those weeks turned into months as Anita and the boys returned to 221B Baker Street. The trio, along with some workmen, returned 221B Baker Street back to the way it was. Spray painted smiley face with bullet holes and all. John had been the one who painted the smiley face, turning around to face Sherlock and Anita. Sherlock held his gun out to Anita, who smirked slightly. She'd always wanted to shoot the wall but never did out of respect for Mrs. Hudson. Sherlock got behind Anita, jokingly whispering instructions into her ear. She rolled her eyes at him and fired three times before pulling the gun back and blowing off the smoke. Perfect shot, as per usual.

As for Eurus, Sherlock visited her at least once a week. She never talked to him, she'd just sit in her cell while he pulled out his violin and played for her. After a few visits, Anita asked to come with as well. Not every time, she just wanted to do it sometimes. Anita didn't resent Eurus for what she did; not completely. Sherlock agreed, of course, and so they went. As usual, Sherlock pulled out his violin and started to play, only stopping when she moved from her bed into a standing position. The two siblings stared at each other for a moment before Sherlock continued. Eurus looked at him with interest for a moment before looking over at Anita, giving her a small smile. Anita returned it as Eurus went over and picked up her own violin and bow, starting to play the same piece as Sherlock. The two siblings played together until Eurus stopped.

"We should get a dog," Anita commented, a few days after they visited Eurus. Sherlock looked up at her from his chair, startled.

"What?" Anita looked over at him, smiling slightly as she set a mug of tea next to him.

"Well, neither of us want kids and we're already married. So, the next step would be expanding the family. I've always wanted a dog and so have you. I just thought... I dunno," Anita trailed off, waving her hand dismissively. Sherlock stood up, grabbed Anita's hand and turned her so that she faced him.

"No, no, no. I think it's a great idea. I was just startled," Sherlock explained and Anita's smile widened. She quickly leaned up, bringing her hands up to cup his face, as she kissed his lips. Sherlock moved his hands to her waist, pulling her closer.

"I was thinking a Dalmatian," Anita whispered as she pulled back and Sherlock gave her a pointed look. She chuckled and he smiled.

"Hmm. No. Bloodhound?" he offered, and Anita's face scrunched up, shaking her head.

"St. Bernard?"

"Too big and slobbery. Labrador?"

"Er, no," Anita stated and Sherlock huffed at her. Anita chuckled, wrapping her arms around his neck with a smile.

"What about a beagle?" Anita offered, looking over his shoulder at the street. Sherlock thought about it, rubbing his thumb over her hips.

"Yeah, I think I can do a beagle," he replied and Anita cheered, bringing Sherlock closer for a celebratory kiss. He smirked into her lips. Oh, he really should have figured out how much he loved her sooner. He could have been kissing these lips since uni! There was a knock on their door and the couple looked over, Anita tilting her head curiously. Anita quickly detached herself from Sherlock and walked over to the door, opening it.

"Hello, erm, we're looking for Anita Holmes? Does she live here?" the man asked at the door with a French accent and Anita's heart shattered. There was a man at the door, his hand on his daughter's shoulder. They were both teary eyed and had seemingly permanent red around their eyes. Anita sucked in a breath as Sherlock walked up behind her, curious as to who was at the door.

"This- I- I am Anita Holmes. Who are you?" Anita asked, though she knew the answer. Oh, and she was having such a good day too.

"I'm Franklin Bailey and this is my daughter, Alice. You, uh, might have known my wife, Florence Bailey," the man, Franklin, replied and Anita let a breath fall from her lips, closing her eyes briefly. She was really hoping to avoid this forever. Sherlock wrapped his arm around Anita's waist, looking over at the man and his daughter. Anita had told him everything that happened to her, so he knew who these people were and he knew she was most likely about to crumble to the floor.