And indeed, it was. They were standing before her. 

Her breathing shallowed. "You're not here. It's the mist trying to distract me," 

Ellen laughed. "Oh, we're always with you. There's no escaping us. We'll always be one step behind you." 

"No!" 

"You're still that worthless child that came to live with us those horrible years ago and that will never change." Her uncle seemed to step closer. 

"No." Gwen shook her head, a determination coming over her, such as she had never experienced before. Her hands shook as she clenched them. "You have. . . no control over me anymore. I am free. . . from your abuses. I am worthy of being loved. I am not a disappointment. I do not deserve to be alone for the rest of my life. I am going to have my happy ending. And you won't stop me anymore!"

Then, the mist dissipated. 

"Gwen?" 

She whipped around to see Caspian. She retreated into him, latching her arms around him as she shook. His came protectively around her. 

"I. . . I did. . . it. . . I stood up. . . to them." 

"Who, darling?" 

"My aunt and uncle. They were just here. It. . . it was the mist." 

"I'm so proud of you." He held her tightly. 

Gwen pulled away. "Why are you back? I thought Drinian needed you." 

"I came back because I heard you talking. I wanted to make sure you were well. Come back up with me." 

She allowed him to pull her up to the helm. 

A faint moaning sound began against the water. 

"Does anyone else hear that?" Drinian asked. 

"Yes. I do. What is that?" Gwen wondered. 

The noise grew louder. Then, there was a distinction. It was a voice shouting. 

"Keep away!" It shouted, repeatedly. 

Caspian's arm came around Gwen at the same time she leaned into him. 

"Who's there?" Edmund shouted.

"We do not fear you," Caspian shouted.

"Nor I you!" 

 Edmund had picked up his torch, flicking it on. He waved it across the rocks in the distance. 

"Keep away!" 

"We will not leave." Caspian calmly and strongly replied. 

The light landed on a rock. A man stood there, with a sword raised in the air.  "You will not defeat me!"

"Caspian. Caspian, his sword!" Edmund called.

Gwen realized it was one of the lords.

"Lord Rhoop," Caspian exclaimed. 

She followed Caspian as he hurried onto the deck. 

"You do not own me!" the lord shouted.

"Stand down," Caspian commanded. "Let's get him on board, quickly." 

"Are you sure it's safe?" Lucy asked, holding tight to a frightened Gael. 

"Yes," Caspian replied. "We have to bring him aboard whether it is or not." 

"We should get Gael in our cabin," Gwen said. 

"No, I want to stay here with you," Gael protested. "I want to be brave." 

Gwen offered a small smile. "Alright."

Eustace swooped down and grasped the lord, dropping him onto the ship deck. The lord flew into a rage, and everyone backed away. 

"Be calm, my lord," Caspian called.

"Off me, demon!"

"No, my lord. We are not here to hurt you. I am your king, Caspian."

The lord turned to Caspian, eyes widened. "Caspian?" He stood up, gripping Caspian's shoulder. "My lord! You should not have come. There's no way out of here. Quickly, turn this ship about before it's too late!"

"We have the sword. Let's go," Edmund said.

"Let's turn her about, Drinian," Caspian said. 

"Aye, aye, Your Majesty," 

Caspian looked to Gwen. "Make sure the crew has what they need sustenance-wise when we get out of here?" 

"Of course, Your Majesty," she teased.

"Do not think!"

The couple turned at the lord's statement, along with everyone else aboard. 

"Do not let it know your fears or it will become them." He quivered. 

"My lord, what are you talking about?" Gwen asked. "Are you speaking of the mist?" 

Edmund moaned with his eyes shut tightly. "Oh no," 

"Edmund, what did you just think of?" Lucy asked.

"Oh, I'm sorry." He hurried to the side of the ship. 

Gwen looked up at Caspian. "What do we--Ah!" 

The ship rocked, sending everyone to the deck. Caspian quickly helped Gwen up and wrapped his arm around her waist, securing her. 

"Caspian, look! In the water!" 

"What is that?" he asked. 

"It's too late. . . It's too late!" the lord cried. 

"It's gone under the boat!"  a crewman shouted.

Gwen turned, hearing a splash on the other side of the ship. 

"Gael!" Lucy shouted in terror. 

"No!"

 Gwen and Lucy hurried forward to retrieve the young girl as a creature rose from the water. 

It was a sea serpent.