CHAPTER TWO

Blood curdling screams echoed in Xaviero's ears. He knelt in front of a woman lying on the stone floor of a ramshackled house, her body oozing blood, red and sticky with an irony stench that made him want to wretch. Writhing, desperate to escape the horrific scene, his eyes flew open.

Xaviero pushed himself up onto his elbows and glanced around his bedroom. The familiarity of his surroundings registered and he realized it had only been the damned nightmare. Sinking back heavily onto the bed, he stared up at the ceiling. Beads of perspiration dampened his cold, clammy skin. The damned nightmares affected his sleep by making an appearance nearly every night. It was always the same scene torturing him, robbing him of peace and calmness of mind and body. Flinging back the silk covers, he made his way to the bathroom and into the shower. Most nights the steaming hot water helped temper the angered state the nightmares left him in, but tonight it did nothing to alleviate his bad mood.

Toweling himself dry, he crossed the floor of his bedroom to his walk-in-wardrobe, grabbed a pair of boxers then slipped them on followed by stone-colored slacks. Not bothering with a top, he dropped the used towel into a laundry basket and made his way over to the balcony, throwing open the double glass doors. He stood on the concrete platform, the night wind whipping around him, tousling his hair. Xaviero willed the cold air to clear away the turbulence roiling inside of him, the anger and hatred holding him prisoner.

Despite accumulating immense financial worth, nothing could fill the empty void inside of him. No amount of wealth or respect paid to him by people could make him...feel. He had everything he could ever want. But it all left him cold and deep down, secretly...wanting. Not even the countless relationships he'd been involved in managed to stir him emotionally. With the demise of his mother, the sense of belonging he'd known had gone with her. There were still times when he felt like he didn't belong anywhere. He didn't know what it was he was searching for but he knew it was something.

***

Monday morning arrived and Brogan sat in the reception area of Xaviero Frontera's office, her hands clasped tightly on her lap. She hadn't come armed with a game plan. Her aim was to honestly and sincerely explain to him the importance of preserving wildlife and their habitat. If he understood the significance of conserving nature, he might withdraw his building plans. Or so she hoped.

In a bid to take her mind off her nerves she glanced around the modern décor of the waiting area. The gray and white color scheme complimented the eggshell furniture, creating lines which were sleek, clean and uncluttered. It was very sophisticated, but she preferred a bit more color and warmth.

When she'd googled Xaviero several months ago, she'd discovered that the thirty-four-year-old business tycoon had built his multibillion-dollar empire in his twenties. Given how determined and cutthroat he was, it hadn't surprised her one bit, but she had still been impressed by the success he had achieved. With each passing moment doubts started to kick in about whether she should have agreed to the meeting. He was a very high-powered figure.

Stop it! She'd waited months for this moment. A few jitters wasn't going to get the better of her. Decisively she pushed aside the apprehension.

You've nothing to worry about Brogan. He's just a man; a lethally attractive man, but just a man. Yeah right, if only he was just a man!

The brunette at the desk in front of Brogan spoke into her headset, then stood up. "Mr. Frontera will see you now."

After giving a brief knock on the teak-colored door she held it open for Brogan.

Smoothing her palms down her A-line skirt, Brogan entered the lion's den. She had refrained from wearing her usual casual-style attire. This was a very important meeting and she wanted to reflect that in every possible way. Brogan felt her breath stop when Xaviero pushed away from his desk and lithely got to his feet. The navy-blue suit and turquoise tie he wore emphasized his power. Her gaze moved over his beautiful features before settling on the sexy swell of his mouth. She watched his gray eyes trailing over her with blatant sexual appraisal that made her feel exposed and naked.