Third Year: Chapter One

Start from the beginning

"Cat, owl, or toad?" She asked.

You looked around the pet store. A toad was completely out of the question but there was a bit of a debate between a cat or an owl. An owl would be convenient for letter sending but you could cuddle with a cat. In the end, the petting factor won out and a carrier holding a cute black cat was set on top of your other school supplies.

"Professor," you asked as you set the cat's carrier down. "Is there a reason I am suddenly allowed to go to Hogwarts?"

McGonagall's lips flat-lined. Her eyes flitted back and forth as she tried to scramble for an answer while you walked. She didn't have the opportunity to give you one. Your eyes casted up in time to see a poster plastered onto an alleyway that seemed to lead to a part of town that you wouldn't want to be in. The screaming man on the poster wasn't hard to identify. There stood your relative, Sirius Black. Out of Azkaban.

"Oh," you said simply.

The witch behind you sighed. "It is for your protection. Hogwarts has made an exception, he will be coming back fo—"

"He never tried to kill me," you cut her off.

"(Y/N)..."

"He never tried to kill me. He never tried to kill Harry Potter or anyone."

The determination in your voice was too apparent for McGonagall to try and tell you otherwise— now was not the time to break your heart. Professor McGonagall guided you into Ollivander's shop as she said something about getting a trunk for all your stuff. You looked back at her retreating figure before turning to look at the old man in front of you. It was like a dream. You had always wanted to go to Ollivander's but of course were never allowed. But here you were. Ollivander beckoned you to step closer. He examined you three times before shuffling off to the back and pulling out some wands. Gently, he set the first wand in your hand. Not a second later, it bounced away as if repulsed by the very thought of you.

"Not to worry, my dear. Witches and wizards rarely get it right on their first try," he said as he saw your frown.

His fingers skipped over the second and third wand and went right to the fourth, placing it in your hand. It didn't even try to budge and you felt the corners of your mouth lift up. The wand felt right in your grip. Ollivander waited expectantly before suddenly remembering who you were— McGonagall had been so kind to inform him of your predicament before you even set foot in Diagon Alley.

"Well, we can't test it but the wand always chooses the wizard. Hornbeam, unicorn hair, 10 and ¾ inches, moderately flexible," Ollivander recited the stats as he gave you a box and a bag for your wand.

"Thank you."

"I have to say my own wand is Hornbeam. Wands like this are unique to the owner, no one will ever be able to figure out its magic once it becomes attuned to you... a shame to be paired with unicorn hair, that core doesn't provide with very strong magic."

"Well, neither do I," you joked.

Ollivander smiled. "In that case Ms. Black, it is perhaps the perfect wand for you."

You gave him one last wave before meeting Professor McGonagall outside. With a nod that you were ready, the two of you apparated to Hogwarts. Just because you had seen it in books didn't make it any more amazing in person. You couldn't close your mouth if you tried. Sticking close to Professor McGonagall, you listened to her give the opening speech to the first years. Poppy had recited it the first year she came back from Hogwarts on Christmas vacation— recited it so much that you knew it by heart.