New Place, New Things

Headphones plugged in with my head down as I walked briskly down the street, clutching the straps of my backpack.
I turned to approach the intersection and waited to cross the street.

While there I thought to myself, eh kinda don't wanna go home yet.
I might as well wander around a bit until I get tired.

After I finished that thought, I crossed to a different street rather than the one that led home.

I've always wondered what was this way anyway.

——————————————————————

The more I walked down this way, I began to notice less cars were passing.

Corner stores became nonexistent.

The payment didn't have any cracks, it seemed almost freshly laid out. It wasn't even made out of mismatched concrete.
The houses got larger and more exquisite. Eventually the apartment buildings I got used to seeing transitioned into single homes. All with fancy lawn arrangements.

Ugh, I must be in the rich people neighborhood, didn't even know we even had an area like that around here.

Almost no one was walking there. It was too quiet even with my music blasting in my ears.

Pretty soon, a cul-de-sac up ahead caught my eye.

Huh, so I guess this area isn't that big then.
I briefly stopped at the start of the cul-de-sac to take out my phone to see the time.

4:15 o clock.

I should be getting home now since it took well over an hour to get here.

While placing my phone back in my pocket, I noticed that the cul-de-sac seemed rather odd. The street on it looked walkable, but the side away from the road had a stone fence, the top of it having short metal bars. It was like walking on it was discouraged.

There weren't any houses except for a large, almost mansion-like one right at the end.

It looked to be Victorian style, dressed in an almost midnight purple, yet the areas where the sun shone the hardest it let out a more vibrant shade. The round windows looked blacked out, except for one star shaped stained glass window in the middle.
With the colors of the house, the dark brown shingle roof contrasted a lot.

The only way to get in was through the metal gate, which had a simple, yet neat, dirt road behind it ,leading to the front doors.

Slightly maroon colored moss was growing on the side, with trees of the same color hiding the area behind the house

It didn't look welcoming, but I decided to walk to it. I mean, with the way this road is built, I'll have to turn back anyway. Besides, it's not like I'll actually going to go in it.

I got to walking, this time quicker since I just wanted to get home.

With every step that brought me closer, I noticed how the few trees in front of the house were sparsely placed were withering, their branches curling in on themselves as the wood grew grey. A bit out of place if the homeowner put a lot of effort into making the house look good.

Eventually, I reached the middle section where the gate was.
There was a metal plaque on the fence-like wall that read, "Home of The Dearests, Established in..." , I couldn't make out the rest rest as it seemed almost sanded off.

Huh, I didn't know they lived here, you'd think they'd live in a more secluded area, or would at least have more security.
Under the plaque, there was a small box label with the word "free" written on it, filled with used, unwanted junk.

Wouldn't hurt to check what was in it.

I rummaged through it.
There were old CDs, most of which where albums written by Mommy Mearest and Dad Dearest, although there were some unknown and upcoming artist thrown in there, unremarkable books and trinkets such as rusted fake gold necklaces and small stuffed animals.
Really, the only interesting thing was a blue hoodie with a light blue symbol in the middle of it. I pulled it out, only to feel something rectangular in it.
I unzipped it to reveal a game case in it. I threw the hoodie back into the box to get a better look at the game.

It had cover art of a cute strawberry blond schoolboy. He was putting down his backpack on a white bench near a water fountain.
He was drawn to be looking back, as if he had just noticed you behind him. He looked happy to see you, his light blue eyes looking at you lovingly. Cherry blossom petals were floating down in a whimsical fashion.

In pink font, the game read "Hating Simulator, an enemies to lovers dating simulator"

I flipped the game over and skimmed over the description. I couldn't finish it since there was a note covering the bottom part.

"Don't anger him!" It read.

Was this a play on the apparent tsundere this guy was going to be?

I didn't think much of it as I took off my backpack and slipped the game inside.

I wasn't one for dating sims but I was getting tired of games I already had, if this game was bad I could just shelf it.

I checked my phone again.

4:35!

Sheesh, I should really be heading home now!

Quickly, I threw the bag's strap over my shoulder and began to run home.

Hopefully I can get there before my parents!