Chapter 1

"Y/N, It's morning already

   "Y/N, It's morning already." I open my eyes to see my mother shaking me awake. I face the clock on my wall with a groan. Today, I have a mission. And that mission is to find the highlight of my childhood, Kaoru Seta. The holidays are over and school is starting again, so it's good to go in with a goal, right?

   My mom leaves to go about her day as I continue pondering about Kaoru. Can I really do it? I flashback to my dream from last night, one in which I found Kaoru yet she didn't remember me. Is there any point in trying to find her, if that's how things will turn out?

   I look back down at my wrist, my worries settling. As long as I hold this bracelet in my possession, the memories will last. I shake away my uncertainties, returning my attention to the reflection in my mirror. "It'll be alright," I nod my head, going back to preparing for school. "I made miso soup for breakfast, honey," My mom pokes her head back into my room to check if I'm actually awake. "Thanks! I'll come over in a second!" I throw the rest of my uniform on and run out into the kitchen.

   "Don't worry about your first day Y/N, I promise it'll be fine," My mom perks up. I give her a confused look, "I'm sure I'll have a great day, thanks, mom."

   "You looked concerned about something, I thought I ought to offer you some words of encouragement," She explains.

   "I see... It's not really about school, I've been missing Kaoru..." I confess.

   "Ah, your friend from the camp? I remember how well you guys got along, I'm sorry we're not in contact with the family anymore."

   "It's alright, don't worry yourself! You've got enough on your plate, I promised myself I'll find her this school year, so it's my own responsibility," I reassure her.

   "Thank you for the meal!" I set down the bowl, finishing my soup. "Of course honey, I wish you all the luck!" My mom gives me a tight hug before letting me go. I rush off to grab my bag, leaving early so I don't make a bad impression by turning up late. As I walk the streets of my neighborhood, I ponder over how the school year could go. I have to join a club this year, that's definitely going on a list of goals.

-

   I show up in my class, only a few students that I recognize from the previous year sitting in a chair. The teacher doesn't seem to have arrived yet, so it seems I made it at a good time. I instantly choose a seat by the window, before class 3-B gets completely filled in.

   Soon enough, our teacher arrives and formal self-introductions begin. Before me, a girl named Yamato Maya introduces herself as the drummer of Afterglow, a band I'd heard of. The area I lived in had an odd number of bangs, which I found fascinating. Coincidentally enough, apparently our student council president Hikawa Hina was the guitarist of Pastel*Palettes. They both seemed really talented, so by the time my turn came up, it was a lot more bland than those who came before.

   "Hello, I'm L/N Y/N. I don't have much to say about myself, other than my goal this school year is to find a long-lost friend! Please take care of me!" I bow to the class, looking at everyone from the front. Seems this will be an enjoyable school year. I hear slight chatter among the students, but for a good reason, I suppose searching for an old friend isn't exactly something you'd take in such high regard. "Who may this friend be?" The teacher asks. "Her name is Kaoru Seta, I would appreciate any help in locating her." I bow once again, the chatter growing louder. Though it seems like people have an idea of who I'm talking about, nobody comes up to me to give an answer. "How lame," I mutter under my breath.