xiv. she's a runner

"𝑯𝒆𝒚, 𝑪𝒂𝒓𝒐𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒆."

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

Jonathan had found them. Almost ran them over actually, but he stopped in time.

The time between the car ride, from wherever Joyce and she had been found back to the house, was extremely hazy. But Halley remembered Jonathan taking one look at her and engulfing her in a hug that could rival the one she had given him when Lonnie left.

They got in the car then, and he drove them home.

He had to force her to go back into the house.

It felt almost surreal, like: maybe if she was able to shut her eyes and tell herself it was fake enough times she'd believe it, but it didn't matter. When she opened her eyes she still saw the lights. The alphabet dripping on the wall. She could feel the fear she had felt when the thing had erupted from the faded paint job.

Jonathan made her sit down.

"Halles, it's okay." He handed her a cup of coffee. Despite how bad of an idea caffeine sounded, she insisted. Letting the hot steam hit her nose and make her eyes water brought her back down, back to where she was. She took a deep breath.

"Thanks," her voice was dry. She mentally scolded herself. She needed to pull herself together. It was her responsibility to look after things when Mom got worked up and she was fucking it up. "Jon I-"

There was a harsh knock at the door, making her jump as she clamped her mouth shut. The teens shared a look before slowly standing from their place on the couch.

Hopper stood at the door with Powell right behind him. His hat was clutched to his heart. "Can we come in?"

~

Rejecting the offer for coffee, the cops made an extreme effort to get the three Byers to sit down. Hopper finally herded them into the kitchen chairs. Halley was sure her heart was visible with each pound it gave.

"Joyce," Hopped started off, placing his hat on the table. "We got a call a little earlier tonight," he licked his lips, and glanced back at Powell, "It was about Will." Joyce jolted forward, only for Jonathan to grab her hand. Halley noticed the clear contrast of hope and utter loss on their faces. She was going to puke.

"Well, where is he? Did you find him?" her mom was frantic. Eyes wide like a mad woman.

Powell let out a sigh, and that was all Halley needed to hear. She felt her heart drop to her feet as she was thrust away from the situation. She suddenly had five tons of pressure on her.

"He was in the Quarry," a pause, "Joyce, he drowned—he's gone—" a screeching noise stopped the chief from continuing. Halley didn't realize it was her until she found herself standing, and pushing away from the table. Hopper reached out to her, but she flinched away harshly.