24 - Reporters And Interviews

Fortunately, Ramilio's remark seemed to be received with a smile.

The gentlemen laughed, congratulated him on his engagement, and left, leaving the young couple to enjoy themselves.

The young ladies, who were gazing enviously at the beautiful Ramilio, were admonished by their father and dispersed.

"Sir...."

"I know, don't blame me. I'm dying of self-loathing right now."

"No, sir, I'm not."

She was happy.

As the wife of a Marshal, Lucrezia had been trained and expected to be a coordinator of international relations.

If she had been in the Illuminati, she would have thought bitterly, "What a blunder."

And yet--

"Mr. Ramilio, you've always been reluctant to get engaged."

"I don't know how to treat a girl as pretty as you. I don't feel comfortable, I can't act like a normal person, what am I supposed to do?"
--This person is useless without me!

Lucrezia had a weakness for such things.

In the past, like Falco's wife, she had been wooed by his parents, who said, 'I'm no good without your support.'

Lucrezia's grandfather, father, and mother-in-law were proud but incompetent when it came to family affairs, and before she knew it, she was thinking, "I have to be strong."

--I'm glad. This is where I can show my skills.

The more difficult the situation, the more Lucrezia burns.

And if the other party is not her father, who is not in the least bit cute, but the handsome and charming Ramilio, she will be fired up.

"Congratulations on your recovery. Can you tell us about your recovery?"

--You're here.

The aristocrats had left, and they must have thought it was about time.

After the nobles had left, the newspaper reporters he had called in advance gathered at Ramilio's place.

"Of course," he said. "Let's have a nice dinner over there and talk."

Lucrezia took them all to a separate room.

After relaxing with a special meal served only to them, she told them a beautiful story that would be popular with the public.

"The husband was a very religious man and lived a moderate life. He lived like a highly virtuous monk. Perhaps it was this wonderful attitude that caught the attention of God. The Master's eyes got better and better....."

"No, this is Lucrezia's herbal remedy."

"My prayers were answered! I'm sure you're right! Sir!"

"....Yes."

Of course, I wouldn't say that Lucrezia had cured him with dubious herbs. It's a reasonable idea to have a good idea of what you're doing.

I didn't want to give them a story that would cause them to make unnecessary assumptions.

--The Master must be too honest.

What kind of answer should I give to make a good impression on the people? Or how can I silence the reporters?

I guess they didn't know, and that's why they've been preyed upon.

"My grandfather was the first royal brother of the Illuminati. He always ate the rare shellfish. This champagne is also very precious and is normally only sold to the royal family. ....Oh, I'm so glad you like it. If you want, you can take a bottle as a souvenir."

Lucrezia treated them in the secret room as if they were more than nobles.

Their carriage started to head home, illuminated by the morning sun.

Ramilio saw them off and blurted out.

"I wonder what they'll write this time."

"I'm sure they'll write something good."

"I don't know."

"If you write anything bad about me, or even about Lucrezia, I'll get rid of you this time."

A disturbing statement. Lucrezia is in a position where she should be admonished.

But she was unintentionally touched.

"Sir...."

I can't find the words. I'm not sure what to tell him. She was called a gray-haired lady, someone she didn't want to marry, a creepy girl, a dark-eyed woman who didn't know what she was thinking, and all sorts of other ridicule, so she didn't know what to look like when she was cherished.

Ramilio noticed Lucrezia looking up at him intently and looked back at her.

Lucrezia's heartbeat jumped another notch when she spotted the beautiful amber eyes.

It was a change in hue caused by the bleaching effect of the medication she had been taking.

--You and I are the same.

Such a small thing made me feel extremely happy.

*** 

"Beauty and the Beast. Ugly lord regains his original form through the power of love."

A large illustration of a beautiful man and a beautiful woman cuddling together appeared in the newspaper.

Falco was sneaking a bite to eat in the café when he froze, noticing the large headline in the newspaper spread by his neighbor.

He was glued to the beautiful woman in the copperplate.

--I think it's Lucrezia!

Falco hurried to buy the newspaper himself.

--What the hell is going on? I thought she was unhappy because she was married off to an ugly lord!

My hand trembled as I held the newspaper. I felt betrayed.

....He is currently on the run. He is currently a fugitive from justice. He has no money, so he is working as a day laborer and living among the workers.

Hard, hard work.

Poor housing.

Daily copper coins disappear just to eat.

For Falco, a nobleman, the hardships were unbearable, but fortunately, he had trained his body so that he could easily do simple labor such as carrying luggage in the port town.

Perhaps it was the nature of the area, but he could hear gossip.

The Marshal and his wife - in other words, Falco's parents - immediately returned to the Illuminati after the incident, and they are desperately pleading for Falco's life.

However, it seems that tensions with the Rai Kingdom have reached a point where they can no longer be rescinded.

Falco had come to regret it.

--If I had continued my engagement with Lucrezia, this would not have happened.

***