Three.

The sun casted an orange and purple glow on the sky as I pulled up to the address she gave me. Bass music pounded through my ears from all the way over the street. The neighbors calling the cops is inevitable, but I convinced myself that I was here for and only for Jenny. I slowly got out of the car and crossed the road to the large house where crowds of people were flooding in and out. I pushed through the drunken crowd and walked inside.

I felt out of place next to every other person that stood in that exact room, but when Jenny rounded the corner, wearing a small black dress and carrying two red solo cups. Beer sloshed out of them as she danced over to me. I stood there as awkward as could be as I braced myself for her presence. She looked beautiful, and judging by the envious eyes off girls and the glazed eyes of the men, everyone else thought so too. “Rowie!” she screamed louder than necessary. She handed me one of her red cups as she continued to bounce around on the balls of her feet. She looked like she was about to fall over. If she was this drunk this early on, I hated to see what she was going to be like later. So, to eliminate the amount of alcohol she held in her hands, I took it gingerly in my fingers. Jenny let out a large whoop which made others around her do the same.

I smiled at Jenny, suppressing a laugh because it was Jenny at her happiest and that made me happier than she would know. But just then, the guy she came with stepped up, grabbing her around the waist as she danced. Jenny acted like she didn’t notice him or the burning glare he gave me, but once he planted yet again another sloppy kiss on her lips, she started dragging him towards the stairs. Anger swelled up inside me like a helium balloon because I knew what would follow their hike up a flight of stairs. The last I could see of her was as she took a large swig of what was left in her solo cup and ducked into a bedroom, towing dirt bag behind her. But I just moved over to the couch and sat there waiting until she came back down because I had no intention of ruining what fun she was already having.

A couple next to me were making out (or were they eating each other’s faces off? It was hard to tell), and they made the whole situation much more awkward. I set the beer I held in my hands down on the coffee table that was currently being used as a dancefloor for two girls. I stared at my feet, slowly feeling more and more awkward. I promised myself that I wouldn’t drink anything. I wanted to stay sober so I could get Jenny home safely. I mean, that was really the only reason I came in the first place. So I waited and waited with the herpes factory and two future strippers until Jenny had had her daily dose of party.

But two long hours had passed and she still hadn’t come out from the room. That’s when I caught sight of dirt bag dancing with another girl. My anger bubbled up again and boiled over. I stood up quickly and trudged over to him. He glared at me as I got up in his face and demanded, “Where’s Jenny?”

“Chill, bro, she left an hour ago with Justin.” Nick said as he shoved me away. I stumbled backwards, almost losing my balance. Jenny had left me here. I came for absolutely no reason.