Blue dress and evasion.

Calix was sitting in her bed, her royal blue dress getting crushed under her. She had asked her mother to help her get ready, but she was too busy running around making sure everything was in place. She opted to do simple loose curls in her hair as a result. Her record player was in the lavatory attached to her room, Roy Orbison was still singing Oh, Pretty Woman as she sat there, waiting for the clock to show 8 o'clock. 

Once it did, she hurried to stop the song and hid the record player in the closet. She turned one last time in the mirror, her mother would, without a doubt, mention the creases on the dress. 

The Alderidge family was always on time. She was counting on Rowan being there once she arrived in the ballroom. Making sure the bedroom door was closed and locked, she started her way down the stairs, fixing her dress while descending. Those damned creases would NOT. GO. AWAY. Once in the hallway, she almost crashed into a tall figure. 

Sirius Black stared amused at how agitated she looked, he chuckled and gave her a nod before he continued walking, following his parents. She had always shied around Orion and Walburga Black, but Sirius had always been nice to her, his brother too. But Regulus Black didn't seem to be with them. 

Malfoy Manor had one of the biggest ballrooms, located at the back of the house; Calix never visited it, there wasn't much use for her there. She took a turn in the hallway before the entrance, the space where the elves would prepare all food and refreshments was already busy, a sweet smell filling the entire room. She bolted towards the server door to the ballroom; her father would be receiving guests at the entrance, and he would make her stay by his side as he did so if he saw her. 

The ballroom was starting to get full, it was bright, and the decorations were all vivid colors. Luminara had made sure to make it look as pompous and extravagant as possible. 

Rowan was in a red dress, already close to the garden doors. She was just waiting for the perfect opportunity to vanish in the rose bushes. 

Once Calix arrived at her side, Rowan inspected her from head to toe. 

"Your mother will mention how creased your dress is, you know?" 

"I am aware, Rowan, thank you very much. You picked a good dress, rose bushes in mind?"

"You have to always be one step ahead."

Calix took Rowan's arm and dragged her towards Mr and Mrs Alderidge. 

"Why in the heavens are you wanting to say hi to them? I had already lost them!"

"I need at least some of them to see me, make mother think I talked with all. She wants me to stay around my classmates-to-be, you are one of those." 

With a bright smile plastered on her face, Calix stopped in front of Damario and Myrna.  

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Alderidge, I am so happy you came." Calix let go of Rowan, turning her attention to Myrna.

"Would never miss it. A celebration of the beginning of term is quite rare. Your mom always throws the best balls for the maddest reasons." A playful smile appeared on Myrna's face. "Now, Calix darling, I could have helped you fix that hair, and what happened to your dress?"

"Oh, thank you, Myrna. This fabric is so easy to crease." Hell, her mother would scream at her for the damn creases.

Rowan pulled Calix's arm as she spotted Alecto Carrow in the crowd. "We should go say hi, Drea. She will be at school."