The Firebolt

Why did nobody ever tell us? Dumbledore, Hagrid, Mr Weasley, Cornelius Fudge, Aunt Daisy, Uncle Zachary...why didn't anyone ever mention the fact that Harry's parents were murdered because their best friend betrayed them? That Sirius Black is my uncle?

Ron, Hermione and I watch Harry and Danny nervously all through dinner, not daring to talk about what we overheard, because Percy is sitting close by us. When we go upstairs to the crowded common room, it is to find Fred and George have set off half-a-dozen Dungbombs in a fit of end-of-term high spirits. Harry and Danny, who probably don't want Fred and George asking them whether they reached Hogsmeade or not, sneak quietly up to the empty dormitory.

******************************************

"Harry, Danny you - you look terrible," says Hermione. She takes Danny's hand.

Harry and Danny have just walked into the common room which is completely empty except for Ron, who is eating a Peppermint Toad and massaging his stomach, Hermione and me, who have spread our homework over six tables.

"Where is everyone?" says Danny, changing his grip on Hermione's hand so that their fingers are laced together.

"Gone! It's the first day of the holidays, remember?" says Ron, watching Harry and Danny closely. "It's nearly lunchtime, I was going to come and wake you up in a minute."

Harry and Danny slump into chairs next to the fire. Snow is still falling outside the windows. Crookshanks and Lizzie are spread out in front of the fire like large ginger and tortoiseshell rugs.

"You really don't look well, you know," I say, me and Hermione peering anxiously into their faces.

"We're fine," says Harry, holding his hand in mine.

"Harry, Danny, listen," says Hermione, exchanging looks with Ron and me, as Danny puts his arm around her shoulder, "you must be really upset about what we heard yesterday, like Dawn is. But the thing is, you mustn't go doing anything stupid."

"Like what?" says Danny, giving her a squeeze.

"Like trying to go after Black," says Ron sharply.

I wonder if Harry and Danny can tell that we have rehearsed this conversation while they were asleep. They don't say anything.

"You won't, will you, Harry, Danny?" I say.

"Because Black's not worth dying for," says Ron.

Harry and Danny look at us. I know they don't think we understand at all.

"D'you know what I see and hear every time a Dementor gets near me?" Harry says, changing his grip on my hand so that our fingers are laced together. Ron, Hermione and shake our heads, feeling apprehensive. "I can hear my mum screaming and pleading with Voldemort. And if you'd heard your mum screaming like that, just about to be killed, you wouldn't forget it in a hurry. And if you found out someone who was supposed to be a friend of hers betrayed her and sent Voldemort after her -"

"There's nothing you can do!" says Hermione, me and her stricken. She takes Danny's hand. "The Dementors will catch Black and he'll go to Azkaban and - and serve him right!"

"You heard what Fudge said. Black isn't affected by Azkaban like normal people are. It's not a punishment for him like it is for the others," says Danny. Hermione rests her head on his shoulder.

"So what are you saying?" says Ron, looking very tense. "You want to - to kill Black or something?"

"Don't be silly," I say in a panicky voice. "Harry and Danny don't want to kill anyone, do you, Harry, Danny?"