How did i never notice him?

As I was siting at my usual table in the cafeteria I scanned the room looking for Newt. I finally found him sitting alone by a window. the sun was shining through onto his face and made his brown eyes sparkle. It dawned on me that Newt wasn't a new student and that he had been at Wicked high for years. who knows if Newt had been getting hit by Ryan everyday and no one was there to help Newt. I don't know why but I suddenly felt a need to protect Newt. he wasn't my boyfriend, he probably hardly thought of me as an acquaintance, but I still felt like I needed to help him and protect him.jut then I noticed that Newt was waving, oh crap he probably had seen me the whole time I was staring! I decided to play it cool an shushed the thoughts in my head. I gestured for him to come over and sit, and he did. Newt approached the Table carrying his lunch and he had a nervous look on his face.

"Who's this shank"? Minho spat. I turned my head quickly and shot him a glare. "This is Newt. he is my friend". Minho looked at Newt and then said something that made them both blush profusely. "friend? Your sure you don't mean boyfriend"? I thought that Minho had actually found out that I was gay and I was terrified". Minho laughed "ha you should have seen your face! Relax I'm joking, come sit, Newt"!

Newts POV
I was sitting down to eat my lunch, alone as usual. I was thinking about Tommy and how much he helped me today. 'he told me I was perfect' I thought. I was very glad to have a friend for once, then I noticed Tommy and he was staring. 'Is he staring at ME? OMG he is'!! I said in my head. I walked over to his table and an Asian kid named Minho asked Tommy if I was his boyfriend and I got so embarrassed. I'm sure Tommy thinks I'm a weirdo now because of how much I blushed.

{Time Skip}

"This is my house". Newt said as him and I were walking. "No way." I said quietly. "What?" Newt asked curiously "were shucking neighbours and I'd never met you until today"! I half-shouted. "Wow". he started "but I'm glad I met you today Tommy, you saved me". I blushed as Newt gave me a quick hug and ran up the steps to his door. I felt something in my hand and I looked down and a small strip of paper was in my hand. it read: '123-456-7789 -Newt :)' I chuckled to myself, that silly kid snuck his number in my hand when I hugged him.