Sweet dreams are made of this

Start from the beginning

Jesper crawled over to get a better look at Aeolian's blistered feet, keenly aware of Kaz tracking his movements. Kaz's reaction the last time she was injured had been more than a little disturbing, though this wasn't nearly as bad as a stab wound and this time Kaz didn't have the Black Tips to blame. Jesper focused on the particles of rubber, trying to draw them away from her flesh the same way he'd extracted ore from the prison bars.

Aeolian knew his secret, but Nina was gaping at him. "You're a Fabrikator?"

"Would you believe me if I said no?" Jesper said lamely. "I don't want to talk about it." He made himself refocus on Aeolian's feet, her feet were really soft and Jesper wondered how she was able to keep them that way.

The Elderclock ceased its ringing.

"What happened at the prison?" Wylan said, that panicked crackle back in his voice. "What triggered the alarm?"

"I ran into two guards," said Nina. "Where were you, Kaz? Why didn't you meet me on the landing?"

Kaz was peering down through the glass of the dome. "I decided to search the cells on the fifth floor, too. There was something I needed to take care of."

They all stared at him.

Jesper felt his temper beginning to fray. "What the hell is this?"

"I had a hunch," Kaz said. "I followed it."

Nina's expression was pure disbelief. "A hunch!"

"I made a mistake," growled Kaz. "All right?"

"No," said Aeolian calmly, they couldn't tell how she kept herself calm in this situation but she was a spy after all and that's what she do best, stay calm. "You owe us an explanation."

After a moment, Kaz said, "I went looking for Pekka Rollins."

A look passed between Kaz and Aeolian that the others didn't understand; there was knowledge in it that they'd been locked out of.

"I wanted to know who in the Dregs leaked information to him." Kaz muttered, "I couldn't find him."

"What about the blood on your shirt?" Matthias asked.

"Run in with a guard." Kaz responded.

Jesper didn't believe it, and he could clearly see neither did Aeolian.

Kaz ran a hand over his eyes. "I screwed up. I made a bad call, and I deserve the blame for it. But that doesn't change our situation."