19. My Not-So-Secret Mate

Start from the beginning

Mom picked one up and slowly covered her mouth with her hand.

It was a picture Marco took of Liam, Alex, myself, and Audrey. We had all hiked to the lake that day. Liam had his arm around Alex and was kissing her forehead. Audrey was on my back with her arms wrapped around my neck. She had a big, goofy grin on her face. I was looking up at her laughing. I looked down at the picture and smiled. My chest tightened a second later and I had to turn around. I composed myself before turning around again just to see my parents staring at me.

Mom was excited and loving as always. Her eyes were knowing. She figured out who was my secret little mate.

My father however looked almost completely opposite. His eyes were blazing with both fury and disappointment. His posture was tense and his back completely straight. His hands were balled in fists. His frown was deep with a clenched jaw to match it.

I was about to lash out at him as to why he looked that way when my mother threw herself at me in a hug. I smiled. Forget him. Since when have I cared about him? My mother was my parent, he was a side note that I pretended to like—sometimes—for my mother’s sake.

“Why did you never tell me Jordan?” Mom asked me

“It was necessary. She was only fifteen when I met her. I wasn’t about to force her into things like that so young.” I sighed “I was going to tell her about everything on her eighteenth birthday, but things went a bit differently than I expected.” My voice cracked at the end.

“I’m not angry Jordan.” She said

“I am.” My father growled.

“Wolfe?” Mom asked

He laughed humorlessly. “My son. An Alpha. Has a human mate.” He shook his head. I growled at him. How dare he?! He’s angry at Audrey because of her genetics? We wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for mating with humans! There wouldn’t be enough to survive.

“Wolfe!” Mom scolded. “Audrey’s our son’s mate! You can’t treat her like that!”

“I can Helena.” He responded “He needs a strong she-wolf by his side. A true Luna. Not a…a human.” I growled I was going to attack him if he didn’t stop right there. He was taking this too far. Audrey is going to be a perfect Luna. Wolf or not she has all the right qualities.

“Wolfe stop!”

“NO! My son will not mate a human. Jordan will never mate with Audrey. He will find a proper she-wolf or he will never be Alpha.”

“WOLFE!”

“NO HELENA! I HAVE SPOKEN AND MY WORD IS LAW!” My mother broke down crying.

My knees started to shake. I wanted to kill him, but his word is law. Even I cannot deny it. I fell to my knees. Trying to defy an Alpha’s order hurts physically, but this hurts both physically and emotionally.

The pain was mainly in my chest. My heart hurt both physically and emotionally and I wanted nothing more than to claw at my chest and rip it out.

Kitchi cried out in pain and longing for our mate.

The mate we can never have.

Helena’s POV

No! NO! My baby! My poor, poor baby. He is past heartbroken. He is just broken. I was more than angry at my husband. Wolfe was not my true mate, but he may as well be. I loved him with everything I had and he returned it more than I’d have thought possible.