19. My Not-So-Secret Mate

Start from the beginning

“Whatever.” Stepping around my father still perfectly at ease she said “None of that.” Playful mood forgotten I glared at my father knowing it must have been his idea. My sweet mother would never have tried to make me move on from my mate—found or not— until absolutely necessary.

“Helena!” My father exclaimed in surprise. She had walked straight up to me and put a comforting hand on my shoulder.

“Wolfe.” She said with a slight smile gracing her lips at her mockery of my father. Now, yes my father’s name is Wolfe. Don’t make fun of it though, it could be the last thing you do. I could hear a growl in the back of my father’s throat.

“He needs a mate Helena!” I growled at my father’s words. He ignored me. “He’s not going to appreciate only having a month so he needs to start now!” My mother glared at him.

“Wolfe! You oblivious son—” Oh my God.

“Mother stop.” I cut her off. She’s going to regret saying something like that. I appreciate her sticking up for me but while I am furious at that man I call a father, he’s her mate. It would hurt like hell to have Audrey speak to me like that. She has gotten angry with me and called me colorful names, it cuts like a knife. Your heart aches and you want them to take it back so bad. So bad. I wouldn’t subject anyone to that. It’s a terrible feeling.

I’d trade an arm and a leg to have her by my side right now. Audrey would have kept me from wanting to rip my father’s head off clean from his shoulders. I don’t want too much of his blood on my floor.

Audrey’s presence would also show my parents I don’t need to date.

The thoughts were coming back now. Damn it! No, no, no! I can’t do the things running through my brain right now. I’d regret it but Kitchi seems to think otherwise. My limbs started moving toward my father. I was shaking. I fell to the ground on my hands and knees. But the hit never came.

I shifted. Crap. Kitchi no!

Once he stops dealing this crap to us then I’ll stop.

Kitchi! No. Okay, look we’ll talk them out of it! Just stop! I fought with him for a while—which included holding him back from attacking my parents—he calmed down but didn’t shift back. My mother put a hand on my head, scratching behind my ears. I leaned my head closer to her hand and she scratched it harder. You could hear my purr of content. She knew I loved it when she did that.

She started speaking. To whom I’m not actually sure. I barely listened at first. Then she started talking about how she knew I found her and I was immediately tuned in.

“My baby is growing up. He will be Alpha soon with a faithful Luna. Who he has already found and hid it from us.” I stiffened. “Yes. Jordan I know. I had my suspicions when you stopped inviting us over.” I used to have them come over for dinner quite often. It was a chance for catching up and also discussing pack matters.

“I don’t know who she is, but I know I love her already. She’ll be perfect for Luna. I can feel it.” She kneeled down and cupped my snout in her hands. She stroked my cheek.

“Jordan baby. You know you have no reason to be afraid to talk to us right?” I nodded my head. She kissed my wet nose and I bounded upstairs to find some shorts.

I headed downstairs after pulling on some khaki shorts and met my parents in the living room where my mother was looking at all the pictures on the wall and mantle by the fireplace. I noticed Alex and Marco had left. Perhaps they wanted to give me privacy to explain about Audrey. I don’t know, but nonetheless I appreciate it.