Thinking that he went near her and tried to forcefully abduct her. Princess Damayanti was a skilled warrior and a very intelligent person. She understood Indra's intention and knew that if Indra was able to kidnap her, her family's reputation would be destroyed. So she tried hard to release herself. Hearing her scream, her fiancee Mahabali came to her rescue but Indra was stronger and he easily defeated him and during the fight, Mahabali was killed. Seeing her lover's dead body Damayanti could not stand anymore. She took Mahabali's dagger and committed suicide.

The entire incident had created uproar in Danavlok. King Bhidhasen was angry and  wanted to declare war but his grandmother Diti asked him to calm down.

 King Bhidhasen was angry and  wanted to declare war but his grandmother Diti asked him to calm down

Diti, 'Look my dear, if you attack Devlok, then it will start a huge war. Now Devs are strong and if you declare war then it will kill many of our soldiers. So we need to think logically before attacking.'

Danavraj, 'Then what do you want? I will do nothing to do take revenge against my sister's dishonor and death?'

Diti, 'No, we will take revenge but first, we need to increase our strength. Your sons took training under Lord Vasusen. He is your family's kuldevata as well. So ask your son to please him and ask for his boon. If God of war gives his blessings then no one can defeat us.'

Hearing that Davavraj asked his sons Valdeva and Vahudev to start their penance to please Lord Vasusen. He himself also decided to join the penance so that he himself could also get a boon from his Kuldevata. Here Indra also came to know about their penance but he was assured that Lord Vasusen was a dev and he would never go against Devlok. But he was wrong. Vasusen never tolerated injustice, so he came in front of Valdeva and Danavraj

Vasusen, 'Valdeva, Vahudev and Danavraj Bhibhasen, please open your eyes. I am happy with your penance. Please tell me what you want?'

Valdeva, 'Gurudev,  you know how Devraj killed my uncle and aunt. Pravu I want your blessings to defeat him.'

Vasusen, 'I always believe in justice. So I will give your desired boon. Ask me what do you want?'

As per Diti's  instruction Danavraj asked, 'Pravu, give me a boon that me, my sons and our army will always be victorious in all battle against everyone. Not even Tridevs or Tridevis can defeat us. They will only be defeated when both you and Devi Niyati come together on the battlefield.'

Vasusen, 'Okay Danavraj, your Danav army will only be defeated when both me Devi Niyati together present on the battlefield. But may I know why do you ask for such a boon?'

Bhidhasen, 'Pravu I am an ardent devotee of both of you. So I will never do anything that forces you or Devi Niyati to fight against me.'

Vasusen smiled and said, 'Tathastu. You will be victorious until you don't do any adharm or attack any innocent.'

Valdeva, 'Pravu I want that no weapon in this universe can kill us. Only the thing which is prepared by you can destroy us but you cannot give that thing to anyone to use or to kill us.'