"So what do we know about this guy?" Morgan asks looking up from the file.

"Until two months ago, he was a Sargent in the U.S Army, he did two tours in Iraq, lost his left leg in a roadside ambush. He was discharged with a Purple Heart and accommodation for valor."

"And the Canadian police force are requesting our help?" I ask, Hotch looks over to me.

"They don't have much choice." He tells me.

"If he has in fact managed to get away with ten murders, why crash the guard post?" JJ asks.

"Could be an attempted suicide." Emily suggests. "And maybe he was trying to take as many people with him as he could."

"Could be a case of Post Tramatic Stress Disorder." Rossi announces.

"I don't know." Hotch nearly whispers in reply.

"Do we think he's legit?" Morgan asks.

"I don't know, I think it's too many bodies to take chances." Hotch adds, "we're going to Detroit."

"Yay." You mumble sarcastically under you breath, Spencer's eyes flicking to you sympathetically.

On the jet, we develop our game plan and talk about anything else we can think of on the suspect.

"Reid, y/l/n, when we land I want you to head straight to Detroit, see if you hear anything in the whisper stream. I wanna make sure we have a crime before we get too deep into this."

"I hear Detroit is beautiful in the spring." Emily smirks looking at you, Derek chuckles.

"The rest of us will meet with the legal attaché before we head to the Canadian police." Hotch says.

"Actually sir, the office in charge is apart of a fellowship that the BAU gave to train police forces in profiling." JJ says holding out a case file, Rossi reaches for it.

"That was the first one we ever did." Rossi smiles, "Jeff Bedwell."

"You know him?" JJ asks.

"He any good?" Morgan adds.

"He better be. I trained him." Rossi says.

📍 Detroit, Michigan

"Home sweet home." You call out as you begin to see the skyline of the Motor City, Spencer's eyes scan the skyline before looking over at you.

"You have to admit, it's a beautiful city though. It's amazing to see how far it's come in such a short time." You say as you admire the General Motors skyscraper from I-75.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Spencer asks and you shrug. "I'll be fine. We've got a case now, and it just so happens to be in my hometown."

"It's not so bad, y/n. Maybe we can see your family once the case is over, you miss them, even if you don't admit it." Spencer suggests and you nod, turning your gaze from the road to him.

"I do." You state briefly as the two of you begin to approach a run down side of town.

"Does anything seem strange to you?" Spencer asks, your eyes darting back and forth between all the transients on the streets.

"They've set up camps, not completely uncommon for this city." You suggest and Spencer looks at the people walking near the SUV.

"I don't see a single person who's isolated themselves from another." Spencer adds. "People on the street usually don't care about safety in numbers."

"Unless something has scared them into changing habit." You tell your boyfriend, a wave of nausea hitting you, you quickly suck harder on a mint Spencer gave you.

"Look at this, drug deals out in the open. Prostitutes seem to be working in groups. If this guy did kill ten people I don't see how he could do it without another witness." Spencer says.

"How do you want to work this?" Spencer asks after parking in an alley, you both get out of the car.

"Start with the first victim, see if anyone is familiar with him, and if we even have a case here." You look up at Spencer, he gives an awkward smile before approaching the junkies, showing them photos and asking.

"Hey, have you ever seen this man?" You ask a young girl sitting on a ripped and dirtied mattress. "Yeah, that's Charles, don't know his last name." She says, avoiding eye contact.

"You ever seen him get into any altercations with anyone?" You spot Spencer in a conversation with someone, hoping he gets some information.

"Charles was a junkie. Junkies want peace."

"You just said he was a junkie, you know something I don't?"

"Just that he's gone, for two days now."

"What's that mean? Is that weird?"

"A lot of people been disappearing these days, and when they do, they don't come back."

"That's gotta happen out here quite a bit." You half ask, half state.

"Not like this."

To be continued...