Let The Rivalry Be Shortlived. Favour Sleep. Not Payback.

Start from the beginning

You and your parents would spend weeks at a time inside your house and it would get to the point where you would run out of food. It made you wonder if their logic was sound. Were they even thinking clearly? How could being starved possibly be better than potentially being caught by a person that might not even be after you?

  It wasn't even like this was the first time it had happened to you. It had become a normality in your life. You'd just put your life on pause and then the door to your house would remain closed and locked for a month as you evaded this ghost of a person, someone you'd never seen.

  Was no one going to save you? Would your life remain like this forever?

  You constantly found yourself looking for a distraction. You needed something to take your mind off of whatever this was.

  Your excursions with the boys previously were for the purpose of befriending them, but now they had a different purpose. Now it was to forget. You would spend your time with them and forget about whatever thoughts would plague your mind whenever you were alone.

Even now as you sat squished between Beomgyu and the car door, it served as an escape from the thoughts that plagued you, and it was Beomgyu's voice that had drawn you out of your stupor that had you staring blankly at the sky.

His voice, soft, smooth, deep, and heavenly, had pulled you from your daze and you could do nothing but listen in fear of the satisfying sound stopping. You listened and took in every word that he sang as he gently swayed side to side, no longer afraid to brush his shoulder against yours. You weren't sure what the song was, nor the genre. All you knew was that it suited his voice well. You felt shivers go up and down your arms and the corners of your lips curled up in satisfaction as you basked in the sound of his voice which drowned out all other opposing forces.

You felt your lips fall to a pout when the song ended. His voice grew silent and the gentle swaying stopped, the song switching to some upbeat pop song.

"You have the loveliest voice," you hummed, giving Beomgyu a short glance.

"Really?" He asked, turning to face you.

"Mhmm," you hummed once again, attempting to replay his voice in your head to regain the calming atmosphere that had previously overtaken you.

"That was way too eloquently phrased," Beomgyu chuckled as he sat back, flustered.

"I'm surprised you even know what eloquent means," Taehyun muttered from the front seat.

The atmosphere you wished to savour was long gone as the argument broke out. Your lips jutted out in an even bigger pout. It felt like you couldn't even remember what Beomgyu's voice sounded like anymore, despite him sitting right next to you. It was almost devastating.

"I will turn this car right around!" Yeonjun shouted over Beomgyu and Taehyun who immediately quieted as his request.

  "I tend to be well versed in my daily life. You mustn't think much of it," you joked with a quick roll of your eyes, shifting your weight from the door of the car to rest on him.

  "Do you do this often?" Beomgyu asked, leaning back on you in return.

  "Not often do I break into a regal verse, but if ever I do, it may be difficult to end," you smiled, nudging him ever so gently.

  "You'll run out of fancy words to use soon," Beomgyu teased.

  "You dare to doubt my expertise of formal prose?" You asked, nudging him more firmly

  "I do. I really do," Beomgyu nodded, nudging you just as firmly.

  "And for good reason," you nodded back. "I've run out of well versed sentences."

  "You seem tired," Beomgyu commented, leaning away from you so that your shoulders barely brushed.

"Comfortable," you corrected, reconnecting your shoulder with his, chasing the warmth that he provided.

"Well if that comfort turns to exhaustion, feel free to have a little nap. I promise that if we're on a rocky road and your head starts hitting the window, I'll only laugh a little," Beomgyu assured you with a mischievous smile.

"Aren't you the definition of chivalry," you joked, feeling more at ease. You allowed your eyes to close, leaning more on Beomgyu so that your head didn't rest against the shaky frame of the car. Without a second thought, you let your consciousness slowly drift until you fell asleep to the calming hums that left Beomgyu's mouth.

  You were roused from your calm sleep when you felt stray hairs gently being brushed behind your ear. Your eyes opened, closing once again at the harsh light. Once you were able to see without the rays of sun harshly attacking your irises, you looked to Beomgyu who had shifted since you last opened your eyes.

  "We're in traffic. Go back to sleep," he told you, ruffling your hair gently, to which you lifted your own hand up, messing up his hair, the corners of your lips pulling up in as much of a smile as you could muster. He did nothing but roll his eyes and push your head back onto his shoulder. His hand then slid from your temple to your cheek as he gently pinched it before giving your cheek a light tap. In response you reached up and messed his hair up once more to which he only shook his head slightly to fix the strands that were out of place.

You decided to let that rivalry be short lived, favouring sleep over payback.