11: It Suits You, Doesn't It?

Start from the beginning

Hizashi nodded. "The deer I told you about got a similar reaction." He said, leaning back in his seat. "Do you think they'll ever be a kid we help and don't want to adopt?" Hizashi asked, laughing a little to himself. 

"I highly doubt it." Shota answered honestly. 

-------- ------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- 

They took a quick recess so the judge could make a decision and both groups went their separate ways, the lawyer with the Tanaka family and Hana with the heroes. 

"Do you think the judge will award the government custody?" Hizashi asked, sounding a little nervous. Hana waved him off. "Would you award custody to a mother who, abused drugs and her child for the first few years of their lives then ditched them with a near stranger only to want them back because your husband feels guilty?" She asked rhetorically. 

Shota rolled his eyes but felt relieved. If Hana was confident about it then it would go in their favor. The whole idea of sending Miki to live with a woman he couldn't even bare to look at was crazy, especially because some of Miki's statements could land Megumi in jail for child endangerment. 

Eventually they were all called back and the couple sat nervously. "I had assumed this would be a straightforward case," The judge said, dumping a pile of paperwork on her desk. Shota's stomach dropped, "it appears that it was straightforward all along." and then it abruptly leaped into his throat. 

"You have quite the gall, Mrs. Tanaka." The judge said, her voice severe "I simply can not imagine ruining the early years of a child's life only to want them back after you built yourself a new family without them. The way you speak of having Miki return to your home makes him sound more like an accessory than a human being. He is not a new older brother to your daughters, as you never treated him like your son. Sole custody will be awarded to the government of japan and Kozume Miki will remain with his current foster family until he is cleared for adoption." she decreed. 

Hizashi's heart soared, but he waited until paperwork was signed and the couple were in the car to do what he wanted to do to celebrate, kiss his husband. He could feel Shota smiling as he pulled away. "Lets get home to the kids Zashi." He said, clicking his seatbelt in. 

------- ------- ------ ----- ------ ------- ------- -------- 

It was late, very late, but that didn't change Hizashi's reaction to seeing Miki standing in the doorway of his bedroom, pillow clutched in hand with Rei rubbing his cheek against Miki's shin. The comfort the cat was giving Miki didn't appear to be doing much to help him and the realization that the boy was crying startled Hizashi, so he shot up into a sitting position, the words 'oh baby' already on his lips. 

Miki let out a chocked sob and dropped to his knees. Hizashi got out of the bed and dropped down right beside his foster son, pulling him into his chest. "What wrong, Miki. You can tell me." He said, cupping the 14 year old's cheek in his hand and wiping the tears away with his thumb. 

"I-I don't...I don't" Miki tried to suck in another breath but was interupted by another heart wrenching sob. Hizashi continued to wipe his tears. Suddenly Miki buried his face in Hizashi's shoulder. "I just want my grandma back." He practically whimpered "You and Shota-you remind me of her and-and I just wanna go back." the final word devolved into another sob. 

Hizashi leaned back against the foot of the bed, pulling Miki into his lap as he did so. He carded his finger's through the boy's hair and shushed him gently. "You loved her more than anything else, huh baby?" He said a small, almost strained smile on his face. Miki nodded wordlessly into his chest. "I know it hurts, I've had people I love very much who've died. But in the end grieving just reminds you of how an amazing person they were.".

Miki stayed silent for a moment, than in a soft, small voice said "Its all her fault grandma died.". Hizashi waited for an explanation, and he got one. "If she hadn't dropped me on grandma's doorstep and forced her to raise me she wouldn't have been so run down. She could have survived the stroke.". 

"I think she would have worked just as hard for you whether you lived with her or not." Hizashi said honestly, "And she tried to so hard to keep you out of foster care. I grew up in foster care, and it wasn't fun. I would have taken a grandma any day.". That got a light laugh out of the boy which made Hizashi brighten up. "I also think its a good thing we remind you of your grandma." He said. 

Miki seemed to be falling asleep in his arms but hummed in response to what Hizashi had said. The pro hero busied himself cleaning the final tears off Miki's face before speaking again. 

"I think it means you can feel how much we love you.". 

Now by then Miki had drifted off in the comfort of Hizashi's strong arms, but someone else was wide awake. 

If Shota cried that night, he'd never tell. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

I was going to update this tomorrow cause I'm lazy and I didn't want to edit but @Yakima96 commented a 🥺 emoji and damn if I'm not weak to those. 

Idk if you can tell but I lost a parental figure really recently and writing this has been very cathartic in helping me work through it. Seeing that other people enjoy this still gives me hope that I'll be able to pull myself out of this hole.

Stay Tuned!